Honored Contributor

Re: Inconsiderate neighbors, do you have one?

I live in a nice country suburb not the ghetto or barrio even though some people act like it. Houses start at 250,000 on up. Depending if you own one acre or like me 2 1/2 acres in a cul de sac.

I had Asians across from me where the little jerk would sit and rev up his sportscar and make it back fire for hrs. on end. I'm taking pills for high blood pressure as well as husband, but, he could sleep thru a hurricane and wake up and holler "what, what".

I got tired of that 'stuff' and called the law knowing that since I wasn't in town I might be SOL, but, they showed up I went out and talked to them told them what he's been doing and pointed to the house. Not a young kid , married and got 2 kids, live high on the hog. Told the cop all I wanted from the 2 of them was to go over and tell him they have been getting noise complaints and maybe that would put the fear of god into him.

So, they told me he has to get up to 80 decibels and they have to come out and gauge him on their noise meter, but, they would go over and investigate, They did and so far so good he's not acting like Ricky Bobby in the Will Ferrel movie any more (Talladgna Nights whatever you call that movie)  

Tip: heads up  that's really helped me with husband snoring and unwanted noise. Amazon, sells earplugs that has 33 NRR rating called Moldex 6800 those are the best plugs ever. Follow directions and they mute really the best of any plug I've ever had ! I went back and ordered again and my sisters want me to order them some now, too.  10 pairs for little over 5 bucks.

I don't have Prime Membership so I pay shp and tax , but, I got the 10 pairs for almost 12. you can buy 10 pairs in a pkg or 300 pairs for 30 something.

Honored Contributor

They also said if he kept it up after the warning he could be arrested for disorderly conduct. Believe that was relayed to him because he's good little boy now.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I am sorry that you are dealing with this situation, but I would definitely contact your mayor or city official to see if what you neighbor is doing is legal.  If no one has complained, they have no reason to stop.

I feel very fortunate that I have the best neighbors.  If they move, I have already told them that I will be going with them.  

As much as most people do not like HOA's, this is one instance where it would come in handy.  However, there are nuisance laws in place, so I would be checking them out.  Of course, your life could get worse once you do, but you should be aware of your options.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Thank goodness I don't have neighbors like that.  The worse we have is the kids making noise  talking and dribbling a basketball while waiting for the school bus.  In a few weeks when school is over for summer vacation, it will be quite again at 7 A.M.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I checked and if he's on his own property and  there is a certain distance past the target area with no danger to others, no houses or roads, he is good.  We are across and down the road about 150 feet. Unless he is aimed in this direction we are in no danger. It's just annoying as heck. DH's theory is don't make waves.

Like I said by the time I call someone to come he would be done and deny it. same if I called police if was breaking in, they are a good half hour away.

If the knucklehead would do this stuff during the day I wouldn't like it but it would be better than midnight.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow sounds like a little slice of heaven! We live inside city limits...no gunfire allowed and membership in the HOA is optional. We have been blessed with great neighbors since we have lived in our neighborhood; it is changing though and many families with small children have moved into the neighborhood....the kids play in the streets....unsupervised...so we have to be watching carefully when we are in the car. Cinco de Mayo will bring some gunshots and bottle rockets...but that’s as bad as it usually gets.

Honored Contributor

I don't have trouble with kids running up and down the cul de sac on their pricey golf carts, 4 wheelers, etc. Kids will be kids they stay on the public areas and turn around and go back up the street.

Neighbor has chickens, no rooster praise all that's holy. Why she needs chickens when theres a Walmart 10 min away is anybody's guess. That doesn't bother me can't hear the chickens in the house and I got 2 by 6 insulation instead of the standard 2X4. She has dogs of course everybody has to have a dog(s) they will bark at you if you go out in the yard and they see you. I go out quietly, so, as not to stir them up. That doesn't bother me either, but, a back firing sportscar over and over sounding like the seige of Atlanta was the last straw for this ol' gal. Cannon fire sounded like.

Trusted Contributor

i have a neighbor that tore down his fence so that he could park two cars on my property behind my garage.  this was so they could not  be seen from the street.  when i discovered them, i called the police and they told me that the cars belong to my neighbor.  i called him and he said that he would move them.  well, two days went by and they were  not moved.  so  i called him again and and asked him why they were not moved,  he told me he put them there to keep his brother happy.  i told him him he needed to keep me happy and move them.  th3en i called a tow trick and had them towed.  he was reallymad but who cares.

this same neighbordame over to my home and wanted to talk about something.i invited him in and he sat on the couch and  while we were talking, he exposed himslef.  itold him to get the heck out and not to come.

then his sister bought the houjse on the other side of me.  i was in my yard and he came over and told me that since i had no one to leave my home to when i die, why didn't i sell it to him now and get it over with.  i told him to go to heck.

this guy is a jerk from hadesand i watch every move with him.  i am keepi ng a log as to what he does and when so i can nail him if i have to do so

Respected Contributor

We had one . . . thank heaven they moved out.  They installed a huge outdoor kitchen  (more like an outdoor bar and dance hall)

and had wild drunken parties every weekend. Blasted music into the wee hours.  Cops would come and quiet things down, only to have them rev it up as soon as they left.   It took about six months  (one whole summer) to get them committed to moving out, but it finally happened. First a divorce, then a permanent move. What a relief!!  New folks are really great neighbors.  Note : They had the house blessed before they moved in.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Wow sounds like a little slice of heaven! We live inside city limits...no gunfire allowed and membership in the HOA is optional. We have been blessed with great neighbors since we have lived in our neighborhood; it is changing though and many small children are now playing in the streets....unsupervised...so we have to be watching carefully when we are in the car.

Bad thing is, people move in , people move out. They lose jobs, transferred, etc. What you got one day you (we) can change any day.

You wake up and see a realtor's sign  in your neighbors yard you think

what will I get now LOL

I remember Jackie O she bought her own island to get away from photographers, reporters, etc. Thought she had it made then they started flying over in planes.  We'll have peace in the grave about it.