Esteemed Contributor

Re: Inconsiderate neighbors, do you have one?

No law that I am aware of for target practice.  We are in a rural area. He stands on his back deck and must have targets set up near the tree line behind his house. DH said he must use night goggles when he does it late at night. No law enforcement right in town so we would have to call State Police miles away. Unless they catch him doing it he will just deny it. Truthfully, the township people are afraid of him. There is a junk ordinance but they don't say boo to him.

Honored Contributor

I live in a neighborhood that the houses are very close together because they are stair stepping down to a large lake.  We have very little turnover and currently I have great neighbors (even the teenagers).  I don't even know what a gunshot sounds like.  We do not have a HOA.

Honored Contributor

I can't even imagine living like that.  All I can say is I'm sorry for you.  I never lived in circumstances like that or around people like that.

Honored Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

People just hate HOA's but this is when having one is a good thing.

@alarmclock 

HOA's don't dictate these types of things here in my area, the shooting especially.

City, county or state ordinances govern those issues and we don't even have an HOA where I live in the county (thankfully!).

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I have three words for you....."Call the police".  Yepper, in most places it's against the law to fire a weapon within a certain distance of other homeowners.

Years ago when we first moved in (1 acre lots) no one, no houses anywhere near us, we used to shoot at targets.  That's where I learned how to shoot, as did my daughters.

Now this is a 1 acre lot development with houses in front and behind.  There are trees everywhere so it looks more secluded that it actually is.

A person would have to be an idiot to fire a gun out in the open unless he/she is surrounded by acres and acres of land...even then it might not be a good idea...

Duh?! You see...bullets have a way of traveling...in the air!!!

Maybe 5 or 6 years ago we'd hear gun shots.  Someone would call the police and it would end.

I suggest you call the police and make out a complaint.  If these neighbors threaten you, get it on video and/or tape and swear out a warrant that they can't come with XXX amount of feet of you or your house.  Keep an eye on your animals because ......well who knows.

My guess is this person is a total idiot.  You hear where people have been shot just sitting in their house from stray bullets.  Once that bullet leaves the chamber it seldom hits the intended target...unless the shooter is a sniper....plain and simple.  

Target shooting is meant for target ranges that are controlled by people who know what the heck they're doing.

Now go ahead right now, get off of the computer and notify the police of your situation.  

This is 2019 and you should never be afraid of anything or person while you and your family are in their homes.

ps I have a cat who's my weather vane.  She hides BEFORE thunder and it rains...she's afraid of a loud sneeze.  It's not fair to anyone or anything what's happening to you.

Take back your power.

Honored Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

I agree!  Loud noise early & late at night is not allowed in my community...not to mention shooting guns is simply illegal!

I happen to have GREAT neighbors!  Several years ago when my DH first got sick he neglected the lawn and the weeds were getting bad.  Since we didn't know how expensive his care was going to be we didn't invest in a law service.  My son would come over occasionally to mow.  

One Sunday morning three of my neighbors (from 3 different homes on my cul de sac) came over to trim trees, shrubs, mow & edge for us. (Two of them don't even do their own lawns but have a service!) I never asked them to do this but was so grateful! They are the best!!....unfortunately two of them have moved in the last few years.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

The first and most important thing that you need to do is to contact your local government and law enforcement for the ordinances in your area for these issues.

Find out what IS and ISN'T illegal in your area.

Given your past profession, I'm surprised that wouldn't have done that?

Not being snarky at all, I'm just surprised.

You and your family shouldn't have to live with that type of behaviour and over time the stress could take it's toll on all of you.

We all should be able to enjoy our homes in peace and you may find that you don't have to put up with this reckless and extremely inconsiderate behaviour.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

I agree!  Loud noise early & late at night is not allowed in my community...not to mention shooting guns is simply illegal!

I happen to have GREAT neighbors!  Several years ago when my DH first got sick he neglected the lawn and the weeds were getting bad.  Since we didn't know how expensive his care was going to be we didn't invest in a law service.  My son would come over occasionally to mow.  

One Sunday morning three of my neighbors (from 3 different homes on my cul de sac) came over to trim trees, shrubs, mow & edge for us. (Two of them don't even do their own lawns but have a service!) I never asked them to do this but was so grateful! They are the best!!....unfortunately two of them have moved in the last few years.

@haddon9 .  We don’t have an HOA but we have a town and police force that enforce the rules of the town. We have ordinances. We pay taxes for this.

Respected Contributor

I don’t even know anyone who owns a gun let alone neighbors who shoot guns into the woods for kicks. 

People’s fascination with guns is lost on me.

Our neighbor’s dogs bark once in a while. 

Respected Contributor

That is how life is. Not always the way we want it to beSmiley Happy