Honored Contributor

It would be good to know what the OP's neighbor did that was so inconsiderate.

BIg difference between some steps painted a color she doesn't like to collecting trash and attracting vermin to her yard.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I love living in an HOA community.  Each spring, a group of “ neighbors” walk through the entire neighborhood which is huge and make notes about homes with things needing fixing to meet HOA standards.  I KNOW that both my neighbors on each side of me fixed up their homes because the HOA sent them letters.  They both had really let their homes and yards go to HE**.  I never said anything to them as they are such nice people, but it did bother me to keep my home nice....and their homes were in such a neglected  fashion.  Because of the HOA, They both painted....made repairs and even have a gardener come to tend to their yards each month. How nice! I think sometimes people just do not SEE the mess or the things needing repair until it is shown to them.  

The one neighbor still hides junk behind his house...furniture, old refrigeratir...two old junk cars......trash.... but I do not see it  as I put up a 6 foot fence and it is not street visible. He should get rid of it, but, probably just does not even think about all the ****** back there.  He is old....I figure when he dies it will hopefully get cleaned up.....

My property was picked as a star property.... I was sent a letter from the HOA  the last  two years.  It is sent to those that keep up their properties.  It made me feel good. 

Not necessary, but it is nice that they do it🙂 I think it makes people want to CARE. 

@SeaMaiden, I can visualize this walk. Clipboards? I'm sorry, but it sounds like a parade honoring Mrs. Kravitz.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

This post reminds me of a few blocks near where I live where someone was removimg brick facing to side their house green and were confronted by all on those on the block  who demanded that they have it redone in brick to match the other homes.  The owners sided it like planned but those nasty neighbors harassed them and they gladly moved to a friendly neighborhood.  

I sure am glad that I live in a friendly nonjudgemental area where everyone accepts neighbors rights.   

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

It would be good to know what the OP's neighbor did that was so inconsiderate.

BIg difference between some steps painted a color she doesn't like to collecting trash and attracting vermin to her yard.

^^^THIS

If you asked my immediate neighbors, I'm a horrible, rotten, inconsiderate person. Why? Because they're as nosy as the day is long and I absolutely refuse to let them in to my business. Travel plans? Not their business. Dates? Not their business. Finances? Not their business. Yet they continue to poke, pry and get upset when they get no response. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I love living in an HOA community.  Each spring, a group of “ neighbors” walk through the entire neighborhood which is huge and make notes about homes with things needing fixing to meet HOA standards.  I KNOW that both my neighbors on each side of me fixed up their homes because the HOA sent them letters.  They both had really let their homes and yards go to HE**.  I never said anything to them as they are such nice people, but it did bother me to keep my home nice....and their homes were in such a neglected  fashion.  Because of the HOA, They both painted....made repairs and even have a gardener come to tend to their yards each month. How nice! I think sometimes people just do not SEE the mess or the things needing repair until it is shown to them.  

The one neighbor still hides junk behind his house...furniture, old refrigeratir...two old junk cars......trash.... but I do not see it  as I put up a 6 foot fence and it is not street visible. He should get rid of it, but, probably just does not even think about all the ****** back there.  He is old....I figure when he dies it will hopefully get cleaned up.....

My property was picked as a star property.... I was sent a letter from the HOA  the last  two years.  It is sent to those that keep up their properties.  It made me feel good. 

Not necessary, but it is nice that they do it🙂 I think it makes people want to CARE. 

@SeaMaiden, I can visualize this walk. Clipboards? I'm sorry, but it sounds like a parade honoring Mrs. Kravitz.

@suzyQ3 

In the background of the walk of the ladies with the Clipboards I hear the song "Little Boxes"

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Luvtuna wrote:

We have a neighbor that has turned his backyard into a dump with all kinds of clutter. We just planted large shrubs to block it and live with it. Life is too short to have hostility. We are friendly with him and give his dog treats. Although one time my husband told him that Fred Sanford (Sanford & Son with Redd Fox) would like his yard.

What you have to worry about is RATS.....And that is disgusting🤮

And Lord only knows what else.  We had a neighbor that let his house go totally down the drain.  He had 4 cars in his driveway and eventually they all had 4 flat tires.  That is a code violation.

He quit cutting his grass and the trees, bushes and weeds got so out of control in the front of his house, you could no longer see the front door and it was a danger.  The mailman quit delivering because he refused to go through the mess.  

The backyard was horrendous.  The grass was up to the fence, trees were overgrown into others' yard and there were all kinds of animals living in there.  

The city came out time and time again and he was cited multiple times for housing violations but he never showed up to the hearings and a warrant was issued.  The aren't sending the police out to arrest someone for a warrant on a housing violation so it just continued on. Eventually all the cars were towed and then he finally had someone clean everything up.  

But for years it was a complete eyesore and made the neighborhood look terrible.     

Was this guy older or sick? If so someone in the neighborhood should have helped out. People don't do that anymore?

I get annoyed when lazy people don't take care of their property but I get even angry when I know there's an elderly person who could just use some help. I walk in a lot of different areas and I'll report the jerks who don't shovel their sidewalks unless I know there are older people in the house. Then I just curse the neighbors who refuse to help.

Honored Contributor

It would be nice if a HOA got to know the people in the neighborhood they cover before they send people letters or slap fines on them or threaten them with court action.

People might have come into difficulties in keeping up their property to meet the HOA's specifications.  Illness, job loss, family stresses, etc., etc., etc.

Seems the decent thing to do to me.  Talk to the people like human beings and not just inform them of what they need to do to stay in the neighborhood or avoid a fine or court action.

Esteemed Contributor

And not every non-HOA community is replete with trashy properties, nor is every community governed by an HOA picture perfect.  I pay my taxes like the next man but boy am I happy I have no HOA dues to pay. 

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

And not every non-HOA community is replete with trashy properties, nor is every community governed by an HOA picture perfect.  I pay my taxes like the next man but boy am I happy I have no HOA dues to pay. 

@Sweetbay magnolia, ITA.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Financialgrl wrote:

I used to hate the idea of an HOA until the house next to me in my last location was not only an eyesore but stuff everywhere and the smells emanating from it was horrible.  It was a non-HOA community.  

Learned then that you can complain all you want to local government but these idiots often get multiple chances before the country does anything about it.  I'm in an HOA community now and it's pretty lax/lenient.  From what I've seen they are reasonable and don't sweat the small stuff but would come after you if you painted your house purple or some other truly offensive thing.

@Financialgrl 

A house painted purple is a truly offensive thing?

Cat Surprised

@QueenDanceALot @CrazyDaisy 

It was to a very conservative neighborhood with  expensive restored homes.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”