Respected Contributor

My HOA dues (condo) includes all outdoor maintenance (lawn cutting, snow plowing, etc.) of the grounds and buildings, as well as the water.  The property manager doesn't really want to get involved in personality/homeowner disputes.  They pretty much concentrate on maintaining the buildings and grounds so that everyone's property values are protected.  Yes, that sometimes means you can't do whatever you want to your porch or front yard.  It never ceases to amaze me that people who move into a community like this don't understand that.  There is even a sign posted at the entrance to my complex that states: "Please Read the Bylaws Before You Purchase". 

Honored Contributor

It's their property, they can do what they want with it.  They are not required to give any thought whatsoever to what their neighbors want or how their neighbor's property values will be affected.  As long as what they did was legal and in accordance with town regulations, they can do what they want.  No, we are not our neighbor's keeper.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I wonder if the OP's neighbor did something truly egregious like paint their mailbox red.

I was thinking he probably painted his front door blue or removed the rose bushes at the side of his house.

Respected Contributor

Re: Inconsiderate Neighbors

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I wonder if the OP's neighbor did something truly egregious like paint their mailbox red.

I was thinking he probably painted his front door blue or removed the rose bushes at the side of his house.

Maybe he painted his front stoop tacky Williamsburg Blue.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love living in an HOA community.  Each spring, a group of “ neighbors” walk through the entire neighborhood which is huge and make notes about homes with things needing fixing to meet HOA standards.  I KNOW that both my neighbors on each side of me fixed up their homes because the HOA sent them letters.  They both had really let their homes and yards go to HE**.  I never said anything to them as they are such nice people, but it did bother me to keep my home nice....and their homes were in such a neglected  fashion.  Because of the HOA, They both painted....made repairs and even have a gardener come to tend to their yards each month. How nice! I think sometimes people just do not SEE the mess or the things needing repair until it is shown to them.  

The one neighbor still hides junk behind his house...furniture, old refrigeratir...two old junk cars......trash.... but I do not see it  as I put up a 6 foot fence and it is not street visible. He should get rid of it, but, probably just does not even think about all the ****** back there.  He is old....I figure when he dies it will hopefully get cleaned up.....

My property was picked as a star property.... I was sent a letter from the HOA  the last  two years.  It is sent to those that keep up their properties.  It made me feel good. 

Not necessary, but it is nice that they do it🙂 I think it makes people want to CARE. 

Honored Contributor

This is right up there with, the person that should have been happy, to do a poster a favor. We never were told what the favor was, orwhy she should be happy about it

Respected Contributor

Image result for mrs. kravitz gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I love living in an HOA community.  Each spring, a group of “ neighbors” walk through the entire neighborhood which is huge and make notes about homes with things needing fixing to meat HOA standards.  I KNOW that both my neighbors on each side of me fixed up their homes because the HOA sent them letters.  They both had really let their homes and yards go to HE**.  I never said anything to them as they are such nice people, but it did bother me to keep my home nice....and their homes were in such a neglected  fashion.  Because of the HOA, They both painted....made repairs and even have a gardener come to tend to their yards each month. How nice! I think sometimes people just do not SEE the mess or the things needing repair until it is shown to them. 

My property was picked as a star property.... I was sent a letter from the HOA  the last  two years.  It is sent to those that keep up their properties.  It made me feel good. 

Not necessarily, but it is nice that they do it🙂

Are those who don't do everything the Spring Walking Crew tell them they need to do, are they publicly humiliated at a neighborhood "get together"?  Given a fine?  Harrassed until they leave?

Honored Contributor

I don’t think she was looking for advice, she just said she needed to vent and is under no obligation to answer questions.

Speaking of bad neighbors, when we when lived in a duplex, our neighbors operated an illegal wood chipping business and ran that thing night and day.  I called the authorities. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I don’t think she was looking for advice, she just said she needed to vent and is under no obligation to answer questions.

Speaking of bad neighbors, when we when lived in a duplex, our neighbors operated an illegal wood chipping business and ran that thing night and day.  I called the authorities. 

The neighbor that I mentioned who was always complaining about what someone did or didn't do to their property ran a power saw in his garage most Saturdays and Sundays 

Couldn't even sit in the yard without getting treated to the endless whine of that ****** saw.