Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Impressed with Amazon-eclipse glasses

@Cakers3,I think you meant to address your post to @gidgetgh.  The glasses I bought were from American Paper Optics which are approved.

I don't know if Amazon has gotten all of the non-approved offers taken down but a quick scan of the listings for "eclipse glasses" just returns approved glasses.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Cakers3,I think you meant to address your post to @gidgetgh.  The glasses I bought were from American Paper Optics which are approved.

I don't know if Amazon has gotten all of the non-approved offers taken down but a quick scan of the listings for "eclipse glasses" just returns approved glasses.

@Marp  Oops sorry.  Didn't have enough coffee I guess.

@gidgetgh  Were the glasses you bought removed from Amazon's website?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think one of our local TV stations is going to show the actual sun being eclipsed in a live broadcast. They have some sort of special camera to do this. So I will be viewing it this way. I feel safer with this than with wearing any pair of special eyewear.

Valued Contributor

Amazon has great customer service! I ordered glasses, manufactured by Lunt, one of the NASA approved manufacturers. I have read that you should look at a bright light with the glasses and not be able to see anything and these glasses passed the test! They have the correct ISO number so I think we are good to watch!

Honored Contributor

Saw them but I was leary.  There are so many fakes out there and so many that don't meet Nasa's standard that I didn't take the change.  The fakes all say they meet they standards but many of them really don't.  I was on the Nasa sight for little while yesterday, checked out approved list but the ones I saw were selling them in blocks or 100.  I plan to go back and look again, I have more time today.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think one of our local TV stations is going to show the actual sun being eclipsed in a live broadcast. They have some sort of special camera to do this. So I will be viewing it this way. I feel safer with this than with wearing any pair of special eyewear.

@SilleeMee would you mind posting the call letters/name of your local station as I would love to watch too . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I got 5 pairs of approved glasses free at my local library - check yours.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee would you mind posting the call letters/name of your local station as I would love to watch too . . . Smiley Happy

my guess is is that MANY of the major stations nationwide (and cable stations) will be covering this. i know our local stations will be....they have been advertising it.  we are going to have about 80% coverage of the sun here. On the east coast, the eclipse will start a little after 1 p.m. and reach totality just before 3 p.m.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@momtochloe,

There will be many stations airing this eclipse. One is the NASA Livestream on YouTube. This particular NASA one is set to be a 4-hour event of the live event.

Go to:  eclipse2017 dot nasa dot gov/eclipse-live-stream

You will see a choice of options of where it can be viewed..."Ways to Watch"

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@momtochloe,

There will be many stations airing this eclipse. One is the NASA Livestream on YouTube. This particular NASA one is set to be a 4-hour event of the live event.

Go to:  eclipse2017 dot nasa dot gov/eclipse-live-stream

You will see a choice of options of where it can be viewed..."Ways to Watch"

Oh excellent, thank you so much @SilleeMee as it didn't even dawn on me that NASA would be all over this (duh!) . . . again thanks for the help as I am old enough to remember walking home from grade school with my hands covering as much as my eyes as possible and my worried mom waiting for me to get home . . . . Heart