Trusted Contributor

Re: Imagine being without electricity...

I didn't have electricity for 8 days after Sandy.

I got a Generac soon after that.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

happened to us in LA after 1994 earthquake -  no electricity for days and no potable water for about 10 days. my battery operated radio, flashlights, water supply and canned goods and i became best buds.  it makes you ever so grateful..........when life is normal again.

Trusted Contributor

I didn't have electricity for a week after Hurricane Sandy.  When the power came on, a huge cheer went up all around me, stronger than when a home team wins a series.

Honored Contributor

I lost power for over a week during an ice storm in New England, it wasn't pretty but we survived.  I'm reading a book by Ted Koppell called Lights Out, A major metropolitan city without power for more than 14 days will break down into chaos.

Valued Contributor

September,

I understand what you are saying.  I have not been in the dark with flood water around me, I have gone a week during the winter with out power and I had to give children baths in water that was from another source. and care for them on a daily basis.  

I guess the most important thing at that time was we all had to lean on each other and it made us stronger. 

Survive is what we do in the mist of such devastation. My heart has been very trouble because of 6 million plus in one state and counting, the life they will return to.  

My family and friends along the coastal line, every human and animal, We are going to help each other emotionally and monetarily.   We are Stronge!!! And this will make us STRONER!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

During and after Hurricane Sandy, I lost power four times.  Each time it came back, I had no idea how long it would stay on, and each time we lost it, I didn't know if it would come back.  I was alone for quite a lot of that time, and it was terrifying.  My son (a few towns over) got hit much harder, and had no electricity for several weeks, and I have many friends who were in the same situation.  Lots of people in my area moved elsewhere temporarily.

This was a few years ago, but it's all very fresh in our minds.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

and having no clue as to when it will be turned on...will it be in just a few days? weeks? or months? What would you do if you have no clue and nobody could give you a rough timeline?

I mean, it's not like you can just get a deli number...

I'm just thinking of all the folks that left to be safe (I praise them). But then I think of all the things they will face when going home. Even for those with not much damage, 'roughing it' without the basic comforts is a shock to the system for more than just a few days.

Everything in the fridge/freezer needs to be thrown out, no air conditioning, and in most cases no water.

Well, if 70-75% of the entire state is in the same boat, finding the 25-30% of anything that has electricity is surely a major stress factor to just get the basics. 

I know for me, I would keep busy cleaning up debris and would be grateful for the books we have for at least a way to keep busy without tv/entertained.

Then I think of those who go from being at a place with all the comforts of being able to take a hot shower, food electricity several miles away then to go home and you can't do anything. Would you try and go back to where you were or just say at home in the dark unknown situation?

So, what would be your plan of action?

The Southen Baptist Convention crews come in with big units that wash clothes and have shower stalls in big trucks.  To me, that is such a wonderful thing!  

Of course food is necessary and water, and they bring this in and set up huge mobil kitchens, Bless their hearts.  Can you imagine how wonderful a shower would be after several days?

They also have chainsaw crews that come in.  It is often a lot of retired people who are trained to help that cook and run the facilities.  Old Baptist men with chain saws must be a great thing to see on your street if trees are lying everywhere.  I can't imagine.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I often wonder what people do who depend on 24/7 oxygen from a concentrator.  They can use the bottled oxygen but a tank only lasts about 4 hours.  You'd have to have a huge supply on hand and most people don't.  Oxygen suppliers aren't even willing to deliver a huge supply.  I think I'd be out looking for a electric company employee if I was in that situation. 

They either have to make arrangements to move to a place with power or get a generator.

Honored Contributor

I keep bottled water, I always have snacks & sandwich stuff.   I have an alternate heat source.   I'd try to find a family member with power!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't want to imagine it. I guess I am spoiled. lol..When ours goes (which always seems to be after dark!)., I get mad..lol..We lose electric a lot here, so much so that I have called the electric company and questioned them because I am sick of it. We have underground wiring. But it goes out in regular thunderstorms, and if people hit a pole down on the main road on sunny days! Its weird. (we live in a country development).

Anyway, we lose it for hours, so I cant imagine losing it for days or longer (and I hope we never do).

As far as the hurricane, id have left the minute the warnings came out and went as far north as was safe. I realize not everyone can do that but there's no way Id stay if I heard it was going to be bad. 

Lastly continued prayers, and hoping things get better soon for all the hurricane victims. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles