Honored Contributor

If you are a PUBLIC Servant...

Do you think it's important to live in the community of those whom you serve? 

Why or why not?

Respected Contributor

Re: If you are a PUBLIC Servant...

@lolakimono  IMO, I think it's important if you are going to hold any type of elected office to reside in the community that you serve.  It demonstrates that you are "invested" in the community and it's issues.  Plus, you are more accessible for that communities residents (seeing you around town, out having dinner, shopping, etc...) to interact with you.

If you a mayor of a city and live in another city, it makes me think that you feel you are too good for the city that you oversee.  Like being the mayor of South LA (used to be called South Central), but living in Beverly Hills.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

Do you think it's important to live in the community of those whom you serve? 

Why or why not?

@lolakimono

The question makes me wonder why someone would want to serve a community but not live there? 

Honored Contributor

@willdob3

I'm thinking specifically about police and fire departments.

Respected Contributor

Of course they should but I'm sure many of the so called public servants of today would be offended by even being called that.  They think we're the servants, not them.  I'm mostly referring to the career politicians who should have been voted out of office years ago and in most cases, decades ago.  

Honored Contributor

If you grew up and moved on, but still love your community and wanted to bring it back, I see no problem with living outside of it.  If you have no previous connection ... hmmm ... why?  

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono  For public employees, sometimes, you can't even afford to live in the community that you serve, so if not elected, but hired as a city employee, it would be nice to live in the community that you serve, but it may not be feasible.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Reality: in my community/county, fireman and police can't afford to live where they work because the COL and cost of housing/rentals are so high; their salaries aren't enough. Low income in my county caps at $70,000 a year; what does that tell you? I think they should, to be honest.

The elected officials SHOULD live in the districts they represent but I don't know one that does in my county. In fact, every official lives in the most expensive and upscale section of the county and are therefore not bothered by the issues the vast majority complain about/have to deal with. It's wrong but there it is. Add in that their kids go to private schools but they brag all the time about how GREAT  the public school system is. How would they know if they've never experienced it with their own children?

Whatever.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@willdob3

I'm thinking specifically about police and fire departments.

@lolakimono

I think it would be best if they lived in the same community but there may be situations where an exception would make sense.

Honored Contributor

I once lived in the community where I worked. I did not like it and quickly found an apartment close but not right in the same community. I loved the convenience of living right across the street from my job but everywhere I went I ran into former patients or their families. They were always nice but also always had tons of questions etc. i worked an average of 64 hours a week at that job and when I finally got some time off I did not want to continue in work mode on my days off. One of the reasons I had moved there was it was a walking community( restaurants, shopping etc all nearby) but I would run into people when ever I went out to enjoy the community. So i ended up getting into my car to get away from there whenever I had any time off.

I think it's best for public service employees to live elsewhere from their jobs.