Honored Contributor

Re: If you are a PUBLIC Servant...

It depends on whether you are an elected official or not. The term "public servant" is now used to mean lots of things, from teaching to politicians to sanitation truck drivers. Many places have residency requirements for serving in any municipal position or teaching in a specific school district. I taught in some very impoverished areas many years ago and was required to live in the school district, but not in a specific attendance area. I think any politician who wants to represent a specific area should live there.... still bothers me that we have a state senator here in Texas who lives in another state....and it is perfectly legal.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono wrote:

@willdob3

I'm thinking specifically about police and fire departments.

In this case, yes live in the community. Because of the nature of those types of jobs it is important to be readily available at the drop of a hat in the event of an emergency situation and that would be effected by how far away you lived.

Respected Contributor

My city used to have a program that gave grants to city school district teachers to encourage them to buy homes in the city.  I don't know if they still do.  My city, with a few notable exceptions. is kinda crummy for homeowners.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

if we are talking about non elected officials, then i would say NO, it is not  necessary to live in the area in which you serve.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I am familiar with the grant program for teachers willing to live in the same community where they taught. A young couple who I taught with decided to do this so they could get their own home. They left after a year because the neighborhood was so unsafe.
Esteemed Contributor

The question is: If you are a PUBLIC Servant . . .   Why do we always get answers that don't pretain to the question? Someone from the private sector responded with their reasons for moving! But I digress . . . 

Of course any employee in a position paid by the tax payers of the community needs to live within the community. Employees need to be aware of what is happening politically, economically, crime-wise, financially, in the school systems, in the transportation systems, city streets/parks/public spaces, utlities and so much more. Their feedback is important to the vitality of the community and it's ability to more forth.

All citizens need to educate themselves and vote on issues within their community. If they don't live within the community they are employed in, why is the community paying them a salary and a nice benefit package? That employee isn't gracious enough to live and mingle among his/her neighbors for the well-being of the community paying them! 

If an elected official, how do they speak for and vote for the people they represent within the area of the community if not living among the very people who voted them into office? Elected officials need to attend all public (and many private) meetings, events, sports, social agendas and so much more in order to have an intimate knowledge of their community. If living in another area they have no first-hand knowledge of housing costs, taxes, utilities, local laws and enforcement issues, Police and Fire policies, Union disputes, medical and school facilities, and so much more. They are expected to speak frequently for groups and make presentations for the community as an elected official; but hearing information second-hand is not reliable and would be hearsay. I wouldn't vote for that person unless they moved within the community before running for office. 

Public servants are valuable resources in every community. Most are knowledgeable and know their community well. They are happy to help the public with questions and willing to go the extra mile for those people who treat them with kindness and respect. Please be kind to those who serve and protect all of us.   Most are working because they love what they do (not for the money) and the people they meet throughout their day. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband was a police officer for 35 years.  We both grew up in the community where he worked.  We lived in that community for many years but decided to move out.

There were many reasons, the community changed and became crime ridden.  The school district is one of the worst in the state.

In addition, everyone knew us.  It is not good or always safe for people to know where a police officer lives.  If they want to get even or have a negative experience, they come right to your home to confront you or worse yet...your family...and yes, it did happen.  I was fearful for my children to play outside alone.

Many people came to our front door with a complaint about their neighbor or some other issue.  They did not want to call 911 to report a problem. .  My DH  would tell them they needed to call the department or 911, but they wanted him to personally handle it.

People used to ask him to " fix" parking tickets or get charges dropped by talking to the officer who issued the ticket or did the arrest.

I could go on and on ..but no, I do not believe it is in the best interest of the community or the public servants to live where they work.

He worked double shifts for years and spent more time at work than he did at home.  He had his finger on th pulse of the community even when we moved to a adjoining township.

Respected Contributor

I thought ELECTED officials were required to live in the community they represent.

We have police officers that live in the subdivision I live in.  I love it, as they park their squad cars on their driveway.  I believe the city of Chicago requires police and firefighters to live in Chicago.  Not sure of other public employees. 

I can see both sides of the issue.  When I was a visiting nurse, I lived in the area I served.  I often ran into families of my patients.  One night, my husband and I were out to dinner.  Two women came up to us in the restaurant and told me their mother (my patient) had recently died.  I felt bummed out for the rest of the evening!  Another time, a patient's wife approached me in the grocery store to tell me about problems with her husband's urinary catheter.  Fun!  I guess that was the price I paid to live in the area I served.

It has pros and cons!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Used to be the law in a lot of places.  Don't think it is anymore.  Really don't care where people live.  Just do the job and earn the keep.

Honored Contributor

In NYC, if you are a police officer, fire fighter or corrections officer you have to live in one of the 5 boroughs but it doesn't have to be the one you work in.