Respected Contributor

If You Still Love Vera Lynn

[ Edited ]

You'll be thrilled to know that she is releasing a new album today - in celebration of her 100th birthday on March 20th. I don't know the name of the album, but it will feature most of her best loved songs in their original form. She has said that she prefers that her fans hear her when her voice was at its best.  The album will include her fan favorites such as "The White Cliffs of Dover" and "We'll Meet Again".  A few of the songs will have new accompaniments, but no other changes.  

I'm planning to purchase the new album, as I've been a fan since my early days. And I'm truly blessed to have lived through the days of WWII when everyone took pride in our country, and the music of our lives was wonderful and memorable. If you were born too late, I'm sorry.

If you who have Amazon's Echo, Alexa can play most of Vera's beautiful songs if you just say, "Alexa, play Vera Lynn." And there's no charge.

Honored Contributor

Re: If You Still Love Vera Lynn

Don't be sorry for me. I am very happy with the year in which I was born.

Esteemed Contributor

My dad was a WWII vet and would remember her.  Not me.  My vintage was rock n roll. 

Those singers and bands helped with the morale of the US troops.  I salute them.  Those guys were young once and had quite a job to do.  Bless them all!!

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Glad that you're happy - but you'll never know what you missed!!

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Agreed. Just can't bring myself to be sorry I missed WWII. Or the Korean War. Or Vietnam.

Esteemed Contributor

@Perkup My dad enjoyed The Andrew sisters and a gal who sang with Glen Miller's band.  Can't recall her name. 

Trusted Contributor

@Puzzle Piece

I zthink it was Marion Hutton who sang with Glen Miller.

Honored Contributor

I've had an interest in WW2 for a long time, I used to hear my parents talk about it, including the music.  I learned about Vera Lynn from them, she is an incredible woman 😊

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Glad that you're happy - but you'll never know what you missed!!

Hmm..Yes, I would have missed my wonderful life I have had and still having. Your initial post was nice except for feeling sorry for everyone cause they didn't live when you did!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Perkup@proudlyfromNJ I think the OP was just 'playing with you' and having fun.  She's excited about the recording and the artist. 

I think many post on the forums to 'play' with others but it's taken so often in offense.  Many mature seniors play with the younger ones in such a manner.