Contributor

Re: If I had it do over again, I'd have been into

It's not glamorous or high paying, but I would be a nutritionist.
Esteemed Contributor

I graduated from college (small Midwestern university) in 1970, and careers for women were a bit limited at that time. I had a degree in education at a time when there were way too many teachers for the jobs that were available. I ended up working for a bank as a mail clerk because I was desperate for a job - $325/month! I was quickly promoted, kept moving up, changed employers a couple of times, but never left banking....ended up with a variety of jobs and finally finished my career in a position that I wouldn't have imagined.

I'm happy with the jobs I had and am proud that I was part of the changing culture for women at that time. We didn't give up, and I'm happy with the decisions I made.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 

Like? Lawyer, but? No way I would spend years in "higher learning(?)" to do so. Thus I am happy with my retiring at 52.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I would have been a professional student, I love learning new things, understanding how things work.

After 20 years of working for others, I started my own business using those degrees and the experience I’d gained.  For the first time I really understood my boss.  Never a regret! 

I would not change anything, because it lead to meeting the Love of my Life!  💙💙💙

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Wealthy socialite. 😉

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

Nursing would be my choice.  I definitely would want a trade I could take with me wherever I go.  I managed a medical office but never went to nursing school and I wish I had.  I love helping people and and fascinated with medicine.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal 

I was in real estate for many years. After completing a series of state-mandated classroom training and exams, I progressed from holding  a salesperson license to an associate broker and then to sole-proprietor broker.

Real estate sales can be fun, in that you meet many great people.  You also meet some crazy ones who will drive you nuts.

It can be satisfying to know you helped a buyer or seller get what they wanted in a transaction.  It's an opportunity to use negotiating skills, deal with different personalities, etc.

However, it's a job that often requires working early in the morning until late at night, either communicating with clients or finalizing transactions.  You have no weekends off, might also be working on a transaction on Christmas Eve, as I was several years in a row.  You must be available when  clients are (and that's not often during regular business hours, because the clients are at work) or you will lose money.

It also involves working in all types of markets......those with  few buyers to match many sellers and the opposite, which currently  exists in many areas of the country....many wannabe buyers but few homes for sale. 

We do have a housing shortage now in many areas, while historically low interest rates are just creating more buyers seeking fewer homes.

It's  a challenging business, no matter what market conditions happen to be, because you are dealing not only  with human beings,  but also various fed/state/local laws and regulations.

Before entering real estate, I was a federal employee as a writer for a long string of Presidential appointees, but after 18 years got sick of the job and politics surrounding it.  DH will never forgive me for ending a highly paid position which would be paying a nice pension today, but I wanted  to enter the business environment of real estate.  Have no regrets.

Super Contributor

I would have been into rich guys instead of bad boys! Woman LOL

Man plans. God laughs.
Trusted Contributor

I'm a retired teacher, but if I could do a life repeat and be well paid for any career choice, I would be either an oceanographer (Robert Ballard) or an archaeologist (Indiana Jones!)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CJC 

Whenever I see TV shows or news reports showing people digging up ancient civilization sites and uncovering artifacts or bones of prehistoric animals, I think archaeology would have been a fascinating field.