Respected Contributor

Re: If I had it do over again, I'd have been into

[ Edited ]

Commercial airline pilot.  When I was 12 a friend of my father asked what I wanted to do when I grew up.  I told him that and he said "you can't do that".  I asked why and his response was 'girls aren't allowed to be pilots'.  

Looking back, I would have loved to have done something in sports, since I'm a huge sports fan.  Maybe a sports journalist or photographer, but girls couldn't do that either.

So, I did something else I loved and that was teaching.  That lead to corporate jobs in training and development and other things and I enjoyed every minute of it.  So, no regrets but the first two would have been great.

Honored Contributor

Working in a zoo, gemologist, owned my own fashion or bridal store.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

i always loved science as a kid...rocks and minerals, earth science, natural science, the Periodic Table of Elements. Loved Science in HS. i would have loved to earn a BS in Chemistry and have found a job in R&D for a pharma company.  My major stumbling block was Math . i had to go to summer school in 9th grade just to get a passing grade in Algebra. Forget college Algebra!! found a workaround with Art School.

i'm a right brainer so...art, writing and creative stuff for me...

Respected Contributor

I loved dancing and still do. I wanted to be a choreographer but I started working in a nursing home as a nurses aide when I was 18. My mom was a RN at the same nursing home. There was another teen who worked there and she started going to school to be a RN so I started getting interested in the profession and decided on nursing school instead. I'm so glad I did because it provided me with a great retirement

Honored Contributor

I think I would have found a way to work with plants and/or animals.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

I would still keep my Nursing vocation forget the economics degree I have and use the time spent on economics being a really top notch back up singer being with great rock bands  - then when this is done back to nursing which I love.

Would combine all the above with DH and my home life as per norm for me.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal  ........I would have married for 💰 instead of 💘       LOL 

But I wish I became an elementary school teacher or an attorney.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

I graduated from college in mid 60s; very few women were anything other than teachers, nurses or Executive Secretaries. Didn't have an interest in any of those of those fields so I took my English major and went into a Government career ( first twelve years in Europe and Asia and then HRT, Military Transition and Professional Engineer Recruiter).  It was always interesting, I was well paid, met DH and we both have good pensions and health insurance plus SS.

Valued Contributor

It's never too late to do what you want. I had several careers before retiring. I'm not dead yet. I am still angry that after high school during career counseling, my counselor was drunk and botched my session. If only I had had someone sober that knew their job! At that time of my life I was just too frightened and intimidated to do anything about it. Right now in my 60's I would love to go to school to study Zoology. Unfortunately for me, the closest college in Florida with this degree program in 300 miles north in Gainesville. 

Respected Contributor

A hooker 

I would have made a fortune