Honored Contributor

Re: IRS Telephone Scammers Arrested In India

@fortune wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

I get an e-mail every day from The Skimm.  It's an abbreviated newsletter about the news.  I thought this was interesting from today's e-mail.  We've talked about this scam many times on this Board.

Earlier this week, police in India arrested 70 people for allegedly posing as IRS agents. The posers have been operating a network of call centers for about a year. This is how it worked: people would get a text or voicemail that said they needed to call the IRS, ASAP. If they decided to call back, someone at the call center would apparently introduce themselves (in an American accent) as Christopher or Daniel. Because it doesn’t get more American than that. The scammers would then demand that money be sent to them or else the person on the phone would be arrested. Tax scams have been a major problem in the US in recent years. Apparently a lot of Americans think ‘gullible’ is written on the ceiling, because the call centers that were raided this week have been making as much as $150,000 a day. Indian police said an additional 600 people are under investigation. 

@NickNack

I can't believe that people are really that "gullible!"

From threads started and comments made on these forums daily (not referring to this thread), I am continually dumbfounded at both how gullible and how uninformed people are.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

Makes me think of the old saying, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Very true, but the generation that has just about all but died off was taught to fear federal agencies! I know my own grandparents would do nearly anything they were told to keep from doing anything wrong! I think many of these scammers are going to be fazed out! Younger generations won't be as easily taken in by these types of scams!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

From the Washington Times:

"Some victims were also told to buy gift vouchers from various companies, and hand over the voucher ID numbers which the impostors then used to make purchases, Marere said."

REALLY? And people were stupid enough to believe the IRS would ask them for gift cards instead of the taxes they supposedly owe?

Beyond mind-boggling.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Good News - Real News!

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

Gift cards, seriously!? Any means to dupe people and not get caught. I get the "we will lower your interest rate" calls almost every day regardless of how many numbers I block. I have blocked half the phone numbers in this country and probably internationally too. Sometimes I talk to them just to see how long it takes for them to hang up on me. The older and more confused I sound, the happier they get until the light bulb comes on. I wish more of these creeps were arrested.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

It's interesting news in that apparently some law enforcement in India cares about such things, but this scam has been going on for years. Shutting down this office isn't going to mean this entire scam is "gone" now.

As for the callers having American accents - bwahahaha! Noooo, they do not. They can call themselves Barbie, Bootsie, Ken and Biff til the cows come home, but sound like anything other than being from the Indian subcontinent? Noooo.......

OMG, this.  I've spoken to a "Rocky, Tiffany, Jodi, Brittany, Matt, Steve and Joan" with accents so thick I've requested a new person. Yeah, they are NOT passing as "Americans" in any way.

Respected Contributor

@LTT1, I also would just ignore those calls that I did not recognize. One day I just decided that I was going to put an end to these annoying calls. This guy whom called himself Kevin Brown got me on his lucky day. Lol!

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor
I will bet they are so GLAD that they got you that day... and they SO deserve to be reported! Good for you!
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I purposely speak in a baby voice to them and one said little girl put your mommy on the phone.

Then I said hi daddy LOL!Smiley LOL

Another time they said I have a computer virus and I started "crying" and asked him if it meant I could catch it and am I going to die?

Now I just hang up but I had fun for a while there.