Valued Contributor

If my phone rings after 8pm it had better be an emergency or you will hear: @3*&(90!!@###@24%6&*(()&^$##$!and !@@!@@#$$$@##$%^&***^ thank you! BAM!

No I do no use bad language but I will slam it. Robot surprised

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I've had a few of those calls recently and reported the "call back" number to IRS.  I wonder if IRS ever tries to call the number provided?  Seems kind of dumb for the perps to leave a number that might be reported to authorities.  

@Krimpette  There's not much any government agency can do if the calls originate overseas, which most do.  They can manipulate their phone number so it appears to come from the US.

This scam has been so heavily publicized, it's hard to believe anyone would fall for it.  Apparently it's still profitable or they wouldn't be doing it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  I understand what you're saying, and I agree.  What I don't understand is the perps leaving a call back number on my answering machine.  I've never answered any calls from numbers I don't recognize.  These faux-IRS calls have only come in when I've not been home.  Wonder what would happen if I fell for their schpiel and called the number they left.  (That's why I have provided that number on the IRS site).  

Both my parents are deceased (for several years now).  Though I still miss them terribly, I can't help but think how vulnerable they would have been.  They were very trusting of everyone, and could be quite naive.  

I absolutely HATE these scammers.

Respected Contributor

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer.  Eventually they'll stop calling 

I don't even open emails when there is something sketchy about it.  I delete them.  

Honored Contributor

My first one came through on my answering machine while I was at work.  He called again while I was home at lunch and threated to call the authorities on me and told me if I didn't pay, I'd be arrested in 30 minutes and then he told me he was going to "Line" my house and they would come and take all my motor vehicles and my bank accounts would be frozen.  When I told him he could claim to do whatever he wanted but I knew this was a scam because the IRS doesn't work like these, he became enraged and really started yelling at me.  I just laughed and laughed which made him madder and I hung up on him.

Later they night, they called again, this time asking to speak with my husband.  I told the guy that someone had already called us once today trying to scam us out of money and we didn't fall for it then and weren't falling for it now. He got angry and started to yell.  I told him to get a real job and quit scamming people, he was pathetic and hung up on him.  I've not gotten a call since.

However, nomorobo has alleviated most of these types of calls for us.      

Respected Contributor

I got one last week. Something about the treasury dept and legal action. I said Come get me, I need a vacation, they hung up on me.

Valued Contributor

@dex  Yep, that call was from a new number and they did leave a message, so they know it's a valid number.  My beef is with the phone company that will only allow 20 blocks.  I used those up two years ago.  I'm sure they could do more to block these calls.

Respected Contributor

@10000Nicknames, I called our state police when I received one of these calls and was told there is nothing that they can do. These are so widespread that they just can't keep up with them. You would think by now that people would not fall for these scams anymore but unfortunately there are still people who are being taken.

Regular Contributor

Just got a call on my cell.My first IRS call  Area code from California.  Never answer calls unless it is one of my contacts.  This one left a voicemail.  Female English clearly spoken. 

I am constantly getting calls on my phone from all over the country and block the number immediately. This is the first one that has left a message with a call back number.  I can't imagine someone falling for this scam.  Before I could post this got a second call , different phone number, but same message. 😁😁😁😁😁

Esteemed Contributor

My sweet Mom gets these every couple of months.  Dad passed away 12/28/15. All this is new to her.  She knows they are fake & doesn't answer but she asks us "kids" about it each time.

I wish I had one of those horns that they use at sports events to blow in the phone when they call.