Honored Contributor

So just this minute my elderly mother gets a call that the IRS is suing her (she has called ID), she didn't answer and they left a number to call. They say she is being sued and call this number immediately! I block numbers but somehow this got through. It had a California area code. This is so despicable, how these people are able to get away with this!

Respected Contributor
You are right - dispicable ! We get those calls at home and occassionly we get them where I work. One guy here hung up on the scammer, and he called the guy back and theratened that the cops were coming right now to arrest him. They use terrible language - a lot of cursing. I feel so bad for older people, or actually anyone of any age, that for any reason may succomb to this rip-off scheme. There's a special place in hell for those people.
Respected Contributor

I am in New York and have been getting those calls frequently.  My local news did special reports and urged people to report these numbers to the IRS.  Their webpage (IRS.gov) has a menu for such calls.  Usually, these criminals are located in the Caribbean and cannot be traced. Just terrible!

Honored Contributor

There have been several threads on this board about this scam.  It has been going on for a few years.  It has been at least a year since I got a call.

Honored Contributor

It IS despicable!  And the word has to get out that the IRS does NOT operate in this way.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I get those quite regularly but they are always on my answering machine. One day I had a call that I don't normally take and decided to put an end to the call. It was a non English speaking person claiming to be from Microsoft and needed to discuss my computer. I said to him stop right there and let's discuss this. I asked him if he was calling from inside the US. He confirmed that. I started to blast him. I said how dare you try to scam me while living in this country in comfort and freedom. Decided to scare him a little bit and told him he just called the house of a state police officer and I could have him arrested. The line went dead! Haven't gotten anymore Microsoft calls.

Honored Contributor

I've had a few of those calls recently and reported the "call back" number to IRS.  I wonder if IRS ever tries to call the number provided?  Seems kind of dumb for the perps to leave a number that might be reported to authorities.  

Respected Contributor

I got a text alert from our Village Hall to be aware of the IRS calls.  I wonder if they're ramping up again? 

I haven't received any calls, but I did block a ton of numbers...

Respected Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

I get those quite regularly but they are always on my answering machine. One day I had a call that I don't normally take and decided to put an end to the call. It was a non English speaking person claiming to be from Microsoft and needed to discuss my computer. I said to him stop right there and let's discuss this. I asked him if he was calling from inside the US. He confirmed that. I started to blast him. I said how dare you try to scam me while living in this country in comfort and freedom. Decided to scare him a little bit and told him he just called the house of a state police officer and I could have him arrested. The line went dead! Haven't gotten anymore Microsoft calls.

@Tricolor, just curious. What language was used since the caller didn't speak English?

Frequent Contributor

I, too,have received those IRS scam messages on my answering machine. Even though I recognized it as a scam, the message was still disturbing to listen to.  More recently, I received a telemarketing call where the person said to me when I answered, " you're harder to get a hold of than a pickle at the bottom of the jar." I couldn't click off fast enough. Now these scammer try to use slitherly charm.