Honored Contributor

I think Oreos contain caffeine

No, I don't think this is a no-brainer.  Yes, they list chocolate, which usually contains caffeine.  DH and I had one cookie for our evening snack last night.  Neither of us could get to sleep.  I emailed Oreo but doubt if they will list it on the label.  What I'm thinking about are kids, who probably eat these before bed much more than we do.  

Honored Contributor

Re: I think Oreos contain caffeine

I hear you.  I don't ever consume any kind of chocolate after about 4 or 5PM.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

No, I don't think this is a no-brainer.  Yes, they list chocolate, which usually contains caffeine.  DH and I had one cookie for our evening snack last night.  Neither of us could get to sleep.  I emailed Oreo but doubt if they will list it on the label.  What I'm thinking about are kids, who probably eat these before bed much more than we do.  

@depglass @It is possible that the package you ate from contained some Oreos that contained higher than average levels is theobromine or caffeine. Try eating some again from a different batch. Eat them in the daytime. 

Try testing your current package again. Eat a couple and see if you feel like you have had a cup of coffee. 

Honored Contributor

Chocolate always contains caffeine.

One Oreo has 1.3 mg.

One cup (8 ounces) of regular coffee has about 95.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Occasional Contributor

I think we all can agree that Oreos contain a significant amount of sugar.   Sugar can cause the symptoms you describe.   If you don't believe sugar causes restlessness and hyperactivity, just talk to any kindergarden teacher the day after Halloween!!  LOL  There is an excellent documentary on YouTube     Sugar: The bitter truth by Dr. Robert Lustig.       Well worth your time to view this excellent documentary

Esteemed Contributor

Google says:

Incredibly, caffeine somehow snuck its way into Oreos, a classic store-bought cookie — barely, though. One traditional Oreo contains 1.3 milligrams of caffeine.

Valued Contributor

The way I eat Oreos, I should be up for days. 😉

Super Contributor

My doctor told me to avoid caffeine after 2pm since I complained about not sleeping well...it has helped me...

Honored Contributor

I eat one square of dark chocolate after dinner about 830 PM, doesnt bother me and good for your heart. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So many children are sensitive to caffeine that I'm guessing any contained in Oreos is negligible.  In much food flavored with chocolate, an artificial flavoring is used.

Screenshot_20220223-124542_kindlephoto-985923292.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment