Trusted Contributor

Re: I think Oreos contain caffeine

Wow one Oreo cookie kept you up all night?  I have 2-4 cups of coffee a day and I sleep like a baby lol.  I've never been sensitive to caffine.  Never crashed after it and it never keeps me up.  My doctor once joked I probably have type Hazelnut instead of O Pos for blood.  My husband doesn't understand it.  I started drinking coffee in my teens and it just never bothered me.  I love it hot, iced, black, with cream, you name it.  I can drink the "Death Wish" level black and the "Morning Blend" light.  I however am not a big fan of Starbucks.  That stuff just is too sweet.  I like their iced teas but there isn't much I like in the way of their coffee.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree that it's not the caffeine.  It's the sugar.  

Honored Contributor

You said a single cookie.  Even if there was caffeine in the chocolate, there would not be enough to have any effect at all.  It would be like a drop of coffee.  Meaningless.  As in milligram.  Although eating a single Oreo must be a world record.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Chocolate always contains caffeine.

One Oreo has 1.3 mg.

One cup (8 ounces) of regular coffee has about 95.

I figured as much....

Respected Contributor

i learned as a teen having coffee with co-workers for hours.   'm very very sensitive to caffeine.  only one cup of haf-caf in the morning.

have to watch the chocolate and don't eat it after 4PM.

as an aside -  Anything that has Liquid Smoke as an ingredient =  guaranteed sleepless night

Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce has it .

DH thinks i'm nuts. He adds it to ribs. i can't eat them

Honored Contributor

When I wake up in the middle of the night, I get up have a couple of oreos and milk...go right back to sleep, like a baby that wakes in the night for their bottle!

Honored Contributor

Not surprised, as there is chocolate in there.  But it does seem like a tiny amount.

I'm somewhat sensitive to caffeine (gives me the icky shakes), so I don't drink coffee and I only drink deaf tea.

However, I do eat chocolate pretty much every day (maybe since it's milk chocolate the caffeine might be watered down a little), and it doesn't seem to affect me as would coffee or a soft drink with caffeine.   I much prefer milk chocolate.  

I have my two Nabisco Pinwheel cookies after dinner most every evening around 7:00. 

So far, chocolate products haven't caused me any issues and I feel for anybody who had to stop eating chocolate because of the caffeine.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Linda0215 wrote:

The way I eat Oreos, I should be up for days. 😉

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Me also and another problem for me: eating chocolate is like consuming  laxative.............sorry TMI

Honored Contributor

Oreo = sugar 😉
Honored Contributor

Another vote for sugar, my first thought.