Honored Contributor

Re: I'm in a tizzy trying to find really good towels

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Do you know what brands you have gotten there that have been so good, @chickenbutt?

I bought some quilts from the O several years ago, and love them.

I just looked at some of mine and the brands are Superior, Christy, and Royal Velvet.   I don't really know much for brands, but these have been good for me, over the years.  Smiley Happy    I've had all of those for anywhere from 5 to 10 years.  

The bath sheets are 'Superior' brand.  I've had them for at least 7 of those years and they are still great.  No breakdown in any way that I can see.  Years ago I also got my husband a set of those bath sheets (we have separate bathrooms for ALL the reasons one might imagine) and he hasn't killed them yet.  Trust me, if you knew him, that says a lot!

I just checked my current Overstock order, for more hand towels, and the brand of those is Superior.  Haven't gotten them yet.  

Thanks for checking the brands @chickenbutt, and I'm sure part of the problem is that those you have had for years are much better than a lot of what is coming out today.

I swear, just in the last decade, the quality of fabric in linens and clothing in this country has declined tremendously. 

That "Christy" brand interested me. I got sheets probably 5 or 7 years ago at Sam's Club by that brand name, and best darn sheets I've seen in decades. Been so happy with them. I'm going to see if I can find any towels still made with that brand. Thanks again.

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

With no intention to change the subject, but as MominOhio has received a good response already, I feel safe in interjecting this bit of info.  Do not add fabric softener or use fabric softener sheets when laundering towels.  Fabric softeners coat the threads, thereby making them less absorbent.  

I quit using fabric softener altogether a few years ago and switched to white vinegar instead.  The vinegar does not soften fabrics, but aids in better rinsing and also helps make fabrics more colorfast.  

I also stopped using liquid fabric softener and dryer sheets. I use liquid detergent and add a little vinegar and baking soda.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Kohl's, excellent!!!

@Shelbelle

What did you find at Kohl's that worked?

I've tried three different lines (mid to upper price point), and each one has come out of the first washing looking like a rag. Pulls snags, just a mess.

The tag in my bath towels say The Big One from Kohl's, bought them a few year ago, wear like iron. I wash in warm water, dry on hot.

Esteemed Contributor

I recently bought gorgeous kitchen towels from Costco - a pack of six. Some are flowery and others solid - different colors in the pack. Inexpensive.

Honored Contributor

Charisma from Costco.  They are two bath towels for $13.99.  If you don't have a membership, you'll pay 5% more.  You can buy them on line.  I bought mine in the store and price compared with Amazon.  They were almost 1/2 the price at Costco.

Honored Contributor

@Brooklynny wrote:

@Mominohio, I've had the same dilemma.  We used to buy Royal Velvet by Martex and/or Fieldcrest years and years ago.  They used to be very high quality, durable towels. What passes for Royal Velvet today is cheaply made, and they don't last.  Fieldcrest has either gone out of business or was swallowed up by another manufacturer.  I haven't seen them anywhere for years.

If you have a Macy's nearby, I would recommend their private label Hotel Collection.  They're pricey, but they put the brand on sale a few times a year.  If you get Macy's coupons, you can get a pretty good markdown.  That's what I did.  They make two or three different styles at different price points.  I bought several of them three years ago, and they've held up very well. I would buy them again the next time I need to replenish.

I used to only buy Fieldcrest. The towels always looked nice and the color used to match my bathroom. Would buy the towels and bathroom rugs. Was so pleased with them and sadly they disappeared. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

L.L. Bean and Land's End are my go-to towel sources.  LLB are a bit nicer, IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

If all you want them for is for show, what difference does it make where they come from?  Buy what you like and call it a day. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

If all you want them for is for show, what difference does it make where they come from?  Buy what you like and call it a day. 

Well, I clearly stated I need nice ones that will last for gift giving, and even display towels need washed several times a year to keep them dust free.

What I've found lately doesn't even make the first wash before looking like a dog bed or the cats used them for a scratching post. Definitely not something I'd want to give to someone as a gift and have them quickly disappointed, nor something I want to throw away after just a couple of washings.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Mominohio

L.L. Bean and Land's End are my go-to towel sources.  LLB are a bit nicer, IMO.

@lolakimono

Have you purchased from either lately? I used to buy kids clothing and boots from Land's End. Great return policy and good quality, but that was 10 years and more ago. 

I thought about checking there. Wonder if their return policies are still as good as they used to be?