Respected Contributor

Re: I'm in a tizzy trying to find really good towels

I ordered the set Joy had on HSN last week. I don't know how they will be but giving a try.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I have gotten some absolutely wonderful, heavy, Egyptian cotton towels and bath sheets from Overstock.  

There are usually collections are not only high-end collections there, but have a beautiful array of colors.  My towels are mostly burgundy, soft peach, of black, and I've gotten all of them there.

Now, I get that most people would recoil at those colors, and that's ok, but you also find the full range of beautiful colors in the different collections there.

Plus, the prices are just insanely good.   Know that I don't go for price above quality, quite the opposite.  I'll pay for good quality if I need to, but I haven't needed to at Overstock.

Do you know what brands you have gotten there that have been so good, @chickenbutt?

I bought some quilts from the O several years ago, and love them.

Honored Contributor

@evelyner wrote:

My daughter likes the one from Costco, I got mine at Macy's on sale.  All cotton

@evelyner

Do you remember which brand from Macy's?

Honored Contributor

@Brooklynny wrote:

@Mominohio, I've had the same dilemma.  We used to buy Royal Velvet by Martex and/or Fieldcrest years and years ago.  They used to be very high quality, durable towels. What passes for Royal Velvet today is cheaply made, and they don't last.  Fieldcrest has either gone out of business or was swallowed up by another manufacturer.  I haven't seen them anywhere for years.

If you have a Macy's nearby, I would recommend their private label Hotel Collection.  They're pricey, but they put the brand on sale a few times a year.  If you get Macy's coupons, you can get a pretty good markdown.  That's what I did.  They make two or three different styles at different price points.  I bought several of them three years ago, and they've held up very well. I would buy them again the next time I need to replenish.

@Brooklynny

Boy are we on the same page! I loved Fieldcrest back in the day, and still have towels that look better than is what on the sales floor today! 

Right now I'm mostly looking for gifts, not myself, but when I find something good (or if I do) I intend to get some for me as well,. 

I was at Macy's today, and the Hotel Collection seemed nice, but the color palate was not at all working with the colors I need for the person I'm trying to buy for. I want these for Christmas, so I don't see much hope in any additional colors before then becoming available.

I did pick up a couple of the Hotel Collection odds and ends on sale for in my kid's bathroom, so I'll get a taste of how well those perform. Clearance plus 40% off, plus more discounts. Got some great prices.

Honestly, I love old towels from the 1970's and 1980's, and that is what I buy for me when I can find them at estate sales, auctions or thrift stores. Problem is, hard to get complete sets, and no 'modern' colors to use as nice display towels in the bathrooms. Great for daily use, just not always the right colors for display. 

I'd love to walk into a department store and for just one hour, turn the clock back to 1977- 1982 and stock up on some Fieldcrest, Martex, etc. from the good old days!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Do you know what brands you have gotten there that have been so good, @chickenbutt?

I bought some quilts from the O several years ago, and love them.

I just looked at some of mine and the brands are Superior, Christy, and Royal Velvet.   I don't really know much for brands, but these have been good for me, over the years.  Smiley Happy    I've had all of those for anywhere from 5 to 10 years.  

The bath sheets are 'Superior' brand.  I've had them for at least 7 of those years and they are still great.  No breakdown in any way that I can see.  Years ago I also got my husband a set of those bath sheets (we have separate bathrooms for ALL the reasons one might imagine) and he hasn't killed them yet.  Trust me, if you knew him, that says a lot!

I just checked my current Overstock order, for more hand towels, and the brand of those is Superior.  Haven't gotten them yet.  

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Kohl's, excellent!!!

@Shelbelle

What did you find at Kohl's that worked?

I've tried three different lines (mid to upper price point), and each one has come out of the first washing looking like a rag. Pulls snags, just a mess.

Respected Contributor

I don't know where I got them from, but Ralph Lauren towels are very nice.  They have held up well.   I also have some Calvin Klein towels.   I only buy pure white towels so they always match 

I bet bet I got them at Home Goods.  Their linens are very nice.  

That probably doesn't help you if you aren't near a Home Goods. 

Trusted Contributor

I just recently went through the search for towels.  I finally got this one from Belk's:  The Christy Supreme Hygro Bath Collection.  These towels are supima cotton.  They aren't cheap, but they are on sale at Belk's right now.  Very soft and absorbent, and aren't too overly thick and heavy.  Really love these towels!

Honored Contributor

I buy my towels from the Linen Source online and catalog.  Their stuff is expensive but excellent quality and lasts forever.  I wouldn't trust discount sources to have genuine Egyptian Cotton anything.  Apparently the company that's the main supplier to the US retail industry has been cheating and substituting an inferior product.  They'll probably end up at places like Costco and Overstock.

FIY: Linen Source is one of the few places you can find good quality chenille bedspreads.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

One word:  Costco.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't agree more.

Mine are years old and washed every single week.  No fraying. No picks. No fading.

They are thick and beautiful. I use the bath sheets.

If you are not near a Costco, try on-line.

There is nothing better out there for a reasonable price and these are more than reasonable.

~Enough is enough~