Honored Contributor

Re: I'm in a tizzy trying to find really good towels

@tansy wrote:

One word:  Costco.

I agree....Costco!!

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

@Mominohio, I've had the same dilemma.  We used to buy Royal Velvet by Martex and/or Fieldcrest years and years ago.  They used to be very high quality, durable towels. What passes for Royal Velvet today is cheaply made, and they don't last.  Fieldcrest has either gone out of business or was swallowed up by another manufacturer.  I haven't seen them anywhere for years.

If you have a Macy's nearby, I would recommend their private label Hotel Collection.  They're pricey, but they put the brand on sale a few times a year.  If you get Macy's coupons, you can get a pretty good markdown.  That's what I did.  They make two or three different styles at different price points.  I bought several of them three years ago, and they've held up very well. I would buy them again the next time I need to replenish.

Honored Contributor

Kohl's, excellent!!!

Honored Contributor

I was given a set of the Pottery Barn classic towels about five years ago.  They're the best towels I've ever used and still look and feel exactly like they did when I got them.  They are quite expensive, but worth it IMO.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have towels that I purchased at Target years ago and they have held up beautifully.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

With no intention to change the subject, but as MominOhio has received a good response already, I feel safe in interjecting this bit of info.  Do not add fabric softener or use fabric softener sheets when laundering towels.  Fabric softeners coat the threads, thereby making them less absorbent.  

I quit using fabric softener altogether a few years ago and switched to white vinegar instead.  The vinegar does not soften fabrics, but aids in better rinsing and also helps make fabrics more colorfast.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

One word:  Costco.

I'd like to, but the nearest one is 70 miles away. I did pick up some at Sam's a few years ago, and they weren't any better than the rest.

Respected Contributor

i bought a couple bath sheet towels at job lot. never again. quality is awful. they seemed nice until first wash.ends that were sewed started unsewed. gave them away. dont usually buy towels from there. got our new towels from walmart a year ago. they hold up well. i buy heavyer towel and face cloths for me and maria prefers hers to be more on the light side.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very pleased with the Better Homes and Garden Brand bath towels at Walmart. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

You are going to use them, right? Just putting them in the wash can cause problems when washed with other items. No one will notice the pulls and if they do, then they are too picky!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼