Honored Contributor

I did not know that is what it is called, but my dil ,did that.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

What I often wonder is what happens when someone with an already hyphenated name marries someone. Do they add another name? What's even more complicated is if two people with hyphenated names marry. I guess to me, the easiest thing would be to each keep their own name. But then, what if they have kids? They have to figure out which name or names they're going to give them. Now THAT'S confusing! Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

What I often wonder is what happens when someone with an already hyphenated name marries someone. Do they add another name? What's even more complicated is if two people with hyphenated names marry. I guess to me, the easiest thing would be to each keep their own name. But then, what if they have kids? They have to figure out which name or names they're going to give them. Now THAT'S confusing! Woman Frustrated

I doubt that it confuses them. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@151949I wasn't confused by what to call the doctor, but I was confused by her confusion.  People can take whatever names they want, so I don't know why I'd be confused about what to call someone.  Just ask them.

BTW- I'd probably never ask a doctor or almost anyone else why he chose to hyphenate his name.  I do have a niece who has hypenated her name with her DH and the whole family uses the hyphenation -  no one else's business, imo.

Honored Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

To Everybody

It stuck in my craw because of my two grandchildren who now have hypenated names and I wanted to ask the doctor why he chose using a hypenated name.  I don't think I was being personal.  After all he was concerned with my personal business.

@newname0  So it sticks in you craw that your gandchildren have hypenated names?  Have you made this apparent to the family?

Respected Contributor

My ex Husbamd is Mexican and they use the Mothers maiden name as the last name and the Fathers last name is the Middle last name. But they go by the Fathers last name. 

So it would go like this:

Ricardo Ramos Hernandez. Ramos is really his last name and he would go by Ramos, but for all intents its Hernandez to recognize his Mother.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

This practice is quite common in Great Britain. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

To Everybody

It stuck in my craw because of my two grandchildren who now have hypenated names and I wanted to ask the doctor why he chose using a hypenated name.  I don't think I was being personal.  After all he was concerned with my personal business.

@newname0

You pay him to be concerned with your personal business.

His name is his name. That should suffice for your relationship with him.

Regular Contributor

His wife may be a man . 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I guess I'm really old and traditional...I had no problem taking my husband's last name.