Honored Contributor

Re: I love how our neighbors are raising their kids!

I hope that the future generation is NOT what I mostly see on TV/NEWS.  

The kids in my neighborhood are a good mix.   Most families that have kids seem to have well rounded kids, they play outside, and seem to have good friends

...one family two doors down...their two grandchildren spend a lot of time at their home.  The boy has a filthy, and I do mean filthy mouth as do the friends he hangs with.  

My husband was standing outside one evening and they yelled something filthy at him!  The police were called on two different occasions for harrassing the family next door!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I wonder about the future of the children of today.  I hope one of them has the brains to figure out how to wipe out cancer and other diseases.  Big order, I know.  The kids around here, are into activities that are opening their minds to other avenues than what we had as kids, and it's interesting to see that.  They are spending more time with their parents in this too.  They don't spend all day on t.v. and doing games, they interact with others and that's good too.  After Covid isolation they are back in the game of life.  I wish them all the best for years to come.  I'm looking forward to seeing them as teens.  That should be fun.  LOL

What do you think about in regards to the children of today, becoming the adults of tomorrow?  

@qualitygal 

Well, they certainly have access to a LOT more information available to them.   Kids today can research animals all over the world on the internet.  When I was a kid we went to the zoo to see animals.

I think the key is to inspire and movitate a kid's thirst for knowledge.  The world is available to them.

What they don't have is the clear path ahead that we had.   Many of the jobs they might have in the future still don't exist yet.   So "what do you want to be when you grow up?" can't always provide clear cut answers and goals. 

Esteemed Contributor

"....educated beyond their intelligence."

I'm not sure this is feasible.  You can't be educated beyond your ability to understand something.  This is somewhat oxymoronic...

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I'm not sure this is feasible.  You can't be educated beyond your ability to understand something.  This is somewhat oxymoronic...

@gertrudecloset 

Unless someone "quoted me", I take the heat or? For posting that phrase.

For many years(52+) I ran my own adult hockey league. Being a blue color, clock puncher, all of my working career! Most of my co-workers were not educated beyond high school. Myself a GED.

However, running my hockey league I met men from every trade and almost every profession. I am talking lawyers/doctors/college professors/Air Force Pilot that flew Air Force 1 decoy, and AWAC planes/Cathlolic priest. There are more, these are just an example.

What I found more interesting about them, in comparison to blue collar workers, was a surprise. As well and highly educated as some were, it seemed like I had to spend more time explaining things to them.

My co-workers and most of the others seemed to understand the same things intuitively, without any explanation. Things that to most of us were just common sense deductions from our living experiences.

When I had to tell some of these men, why I didn't want them shooting hard rubber frozen pucks over the glass. They could plainly see, my now wife, and other players wives sitting there.

I was guessing they just didn't get the physics of, "what goes up must come down". Unfortunately it took 1 of these hard pucks, hitting the ceiling, and coming down hitting my my now wife's nose after first cutting her at her hairline, and also breaking her glasses. I could tell you many more similar to this, just different outcomes, these are just my experiences. Thus the phrase that sounded good to me.

Whether it is oxymoronic or maybe just me being the moron. That phrase, is what I used, for what I thought, best described, a few of those men.

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

I wonder about the future of the children of today.  I hope one of them has the brains to figure out how to wipe out cancer and other diseases.  Big order, I know.  The kids around here, are into activities that are opening their minds to other avenues than what we had as kids, and it's interesting to see that.  They are spending more time with their parents in this too.  They don't spend all day on t.v. and doing games, they interact with others and that's good too.  After Covid isolation they are back in the game of life.  I wish them all the best for years to come.  I'm looking forward to seeing them as teens.  That should be fun.  LOL

What do you think about in regards to the children of today, becoming the adults of tomorrow?  

Already done but you don't hear about it since it won't make money for big pharma.

Anyway, I think some of the kids of today will be great adults of tomorrow and some won't - just as it's always been.

Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

This sota girl says pop, duck, duck, gray duck and loves tater tot hotdish
Esteemed Contributor

One can't be educated beyond their intelligence.  You can only be as intelligent as your own acumen will allow.  Intelligence is a measurement.  You can't cram it into something that it won't fit into.

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

One can't be educated beyond their intelligence.  You can only be as intelligent as your own acumen will allow.  Intelligence is a measurement.  You can't cram it into something that it won't fit into.

Hmm! "Acumen"! =Good decisions in a particular domain.

Intelligence! =The ability to acquire knowledge and skills.

Common sense!=It has been observed that high IQ types are lacking in common sense.

Pretty close to what I observed in my other post with many of the high IQ intelligent men! Just sayin.

Maybe it's "educated beyond their common sense"!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I'm not sure what "educated beyond their intelligence " means. 

I think that people can be educated but not be intelligent. I've seen examples of it on TV and in real life.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

I have no idea why the term "educated beyond their intelligence" was used on this forum.  The term simply doesn't make sense.  Furthermore, it's not possible.  It's like trying to teach a giraffe to gallup gracefully like a horse.

Done....

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I have no idea why the term "educated beyond their intelligence" was used on this forum.  The term simply doesn't make sense.  Furthermore, it's not possible.  It's like trying to teach a giraffe to gallup gracefully like a horse.

Done....

@gertrudecloset But giraffes are beautifully graceful themselves.  You don't have to teach them anything, just appreciate them.