Honored Contributor

I love how our neighbors are raising their kids!

I wonder about the future of the children of today.  I hope one of them has the brains to figure out how to wipe out cancer and other diseases.  Big order, I know.  The kids around here, are into activities that are opening their minds to other avenues than what we had as kids, and it's interesting to see that.  They are spending more time with their parents in this too.  They don't spend all day on t.v. and doing games, they interact with others and that's good too.  After Covid isolation they are back in the game of life.  I wish them all the best for years to come.  I'm looking forward to seeing them as teens.  That should be fun.  LOL

What do you think about in regards to the children of today, becoming the adults of tomorrow?  

Honored Contributor

Re: I love how our neighbors are raising their kids!

I have a lot of faith in today's kids. I have worked with teens and young adults most of my life. 99.99999% are good kids with brains. 

There are so many things that affect family life that I refuse to judge based on what just I see.  I became a single mom when my kids were in gradeschool. It wasn't an easy road for them or me. Today one is an MSW therapist with additional hours toward a PhD,  and the other is a high ranking officer in the military with 2 Masters degrees. 

What you see on the outside might not be what happens on the inside. 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal   What I fear is that I am terribly isolated from the wide ranging life I once was leading, and that means my grasp of how whole generations are being raised is also limited.

In my own extended family, even the next generation already has some adult children, some teens, and even an infant and another coming soon.  All of both of those generations are healthy and seem to be living with values that benefit those around them as well as providing for themselves.

Because of my own life experiences, though, I know that if I had a wider reality I might well see differences.  I no longer have enough knowledge even to guess at what is most common -  I can hope.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart, excellent post. Definitely something I think about too. 

Respected Contributor

Way more often I worry about the adults of today and tomorrow 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's some great kids out there that the parents are doing a great job in raising them.  However, there's too many lazy parents that DO stick a phone or a video game in front of them to keep them amused and out of the way...If you interact with kids, in school or community projects or even church children's programs you see it.  And also you can see it in the news reports here in our city as juvenile diabetes keeps growing among the young in our city because of their inactivity and junk food choices---they are couch potatoes at a very young age......no outdoor play time for them...nor organized sports etc etc.....

In one aspect there was some good that came out of the Pandemic is that it taught the kids the value and importance of a person to person connection rather than a virtual connection, and THATS GOOD!

Sadly, I also see an immaturity on one end (because of the lack of quality time with the parents), and yet kids are also being exposed to "adult topics" at a younger and younger age and thats NOT a good mix at all......

I hope there will be young leaders instilled with good values to carry on and help make the world better!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have friends who have 4 kids ranging in age from 4-13. They have a very small house, way too small by today's standards for a family, but they have them outside all the time doing something, from playing to working the garden to discovering new bugs. We live in a beautiful town where there are parks, beaches, nature trails. The parents are always taking them somewhere, even if it's a place as simple as the waterfront to just walk. They keep them busy with nature and I can't help but believe they will grow up to be very good citizens and knowing the importance in stopping to smell the flowers. I pray there are other parents just as caring about our future.

Honored Contributor

Quite honestly, it's not something I sit around and think about. We come and we go. How today's kids, as a group, turn out probably isn't going to significantly impact what remains of many of our lives.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Read the story of Mikaila Ulmer.

I find young people today are creative and innovative.  They want better work/life balance, are not interested in being with a company for a lifetime and want to make enough money to retire early.  Their skills are different than when I was a young person & I think technology has opened up great learning experiences.  I worked at a NYC large firm and had to adjust to the younger employee's way of working & thinking & I felt they lacked many of the skills I thought were important but I learned, over time, they had different & valuable skills.  Many worked hard, skipped lunch & willing to work overtime but wanted a shorter work week & longer weekends.  I also found they were more inclusive and altruistic than back in my day

we read about many of the troubled teens & young people but there are many stories like Mikaila's out there.   I also think parental guidance, awareness & involvement are essential to a child's success.