Respected Contributor

Re: I got an appointment but my husband didn’t

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Drythe  Oh I know. I was born and raised here. They started announcing on the early news this am where they will be available. Hopefully you will get a call.

I have been moved back. I am on 2 chemo drugs for RA and very immune suppressed. It was recently discovered that I have no spleen so they are trying to decide. Some countries are not vaccinating asplenic individuals. I have been ask to join research regarding antibodies. My husband passed away shortly before this started. He was a physician and I wish I had his advice. It has been very difficult to deal with his death and the isolation from the pandemic.

@tiny 2, I am so sorry for your loss.

@suzyQ3  Thank you so much. I lost both my mom and my husband 11 months apart. My siblings are all close by and that really helps.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I spoke to my cousin yesterday, he was lucky enough to get the vaccine yesterday, his wife is scheduled for Thursday. They applied online the same time, but ended up not getting an appointment together. He wanted to give her his appointment when they got there, he. was told no. He also asked if she could be seen at the same time as him, a no again. He should just consider himself lucky he is one of the few that got vaccinated.

We were able to get our first dose this morning.

There was a couple ahead of us, the wife was able to get an appointment, her husband was not.  They wouldn't give one to her husband. 

I was really impressed at how well run the entire process was once we got there.  

We were given the Pfizer version and had our appointment for the second dose by the time we were walking out the door.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know exactly how you feel, when all this started last year my husband had just retired and we were planning on traveling, we have been nowhere since we both have health issues and are in our 60"s, spent most of the last year living like hermits waiting on this vaccine, we finally got our first shot (Moderna) 3 weeks ago and are scheduled for the second shot Feb 4th only now to hear it might not be as effective, we have to jump through hoops in Texas just to get the vaccination so what it boils down to is that we'll still be afraid to leave home

Note: Just found out that the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are both effective against both variants so that's good news

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Adding to the free for all in our state, a neighbor told me yesterday that she and her husband drove 2 hours earlier this week  and then waited in line in the car for another hour (terrific traffic jam) to go to a clinic to get the shot without an appointment.

Unfortunately, they have no appointment for a second shot and will have to try their luck again when the next shot is due.

I am NOT doing that.

Also, despite teachers being prioritized for shots over even 75+ folks (and some of those folks having their appoitments canceled due to shortage of vaccine so that the teachers could get their shots instead), the teachers' union says they still do not want to return to work until they can be assured that children also have been vaccinated.  Since there is currently no vaccine for children under 16, that could be a long time.  

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Adding to the free for all in our state, a neighbor told me yesterday that she and her husband drove 2 hours earlier this week  and then waited in line in the car for another hour (terrific traffic jam) to go to a clinic to get the shot without an appointment.

Unfortunately, they have no appointment for a second shot and will have to try their luck again when the next shot is due.

I am NOT doing that.

Also, despite teachers being prioritized for shots over even 75+ folks (and some of those folks having their appoitments canceled due to shortage of vaccine so that the teachers could get their shots instead), the teachers' union says they still do not want to return to work until they can be assured that children also have been vaccinated.  Since there is currently no vaccine for children under 16, that could be a long time.  

@Isobel Archer we said the same thing.  So let's never go back to work.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I am NOT doing that.

@Isobel Archer, this is a top criterion for us as well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I am NOT doing that.

@Isobel Archer, this is a top criterion for us as well.

According to the Washington Post, yesterday our governor ordered everyone administering shots to stop saving enough for second shots - so that more people could get at least the first shot.

Oh boy.  I'm holding my breath that my DH can get his second shot in two weeks.