Honored Contributor

I got an appointment but my husband didn’t

[ Edited ]

A lady just called and set up a vaccination appointment for me. She couldn't get my husband's information entered into her computer fast enough, so slots ran out. I had previously left two messages, one for each of us, to get appointments on the county's hotline number.  

Honored Contributor

Re: I got an appointment but my husband didn’t

Crazy.  I have two co-morbidities so I'm in Phase 2 which begins Feb 1.  They are still adding Vaccine sites and the online regisgration should be available for Phase 2 this Friday.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  But I work for a hospital and hospitals are now allowed to give the vaccine to all their employees, even those who work from home like I do.  We got an email telling us that they are going to start sending emails out telling us when and where to go for the Vaccine.  No criteria, they are just scheduling people.  So I have two options, I go with the one that comes first. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

From other info posted on this  forum, it appears many states have  messy rollouts that just lead most to be disappointed, frustrated and  may lead to many  in high risk groups  to just giving up . I waited 6 hrs on a weblink to get in line for covid vaccine being offered by Giant Food . When it finally dinged to let me know it was my turn, well all the  vaccine slots were full . When I logged in since they opened it to my turn , it said there were 12,359 people were waiting to make an appointment .

Atleast the wait was no way as painful as those who just sat in their cars for hours waiting in lines .

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

This entire vaccine rollout was so badly mismanaged it will take months to make any headway.   In some states smokers are placed ahead of the elderly!!

Hopefully the new people in charge of the vaccine will order enough and use competent people to distribute it.

Good luck.  We're still trying too.

I don't think much will change as the states are in charge - it goes to the local health departments.  THe National Guard in some areas  are to help  with scheduling  and ? administering . NOt all  local health dept's   took advantage of this offer  . That's waht happened in my area  . Also , I  was on the list waiting to  get vaccine through my health dept  , so  when my  time came  via  my health  dept  website  the appointments were only from 9am-12 noon  and  were all filled  ! So how many people  do they expect to vaccinate if the vaccine clicic  is only open from 9am-12noon.  Maybe it might move since Giant Food , Walgreens , CVS are to help  distribute. Their  vaccine sign up sites  are jammed .

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in VA and my state has almost the worst reputation for vaccine amounts given. We are right next to West VA that has the best! Each county does whatever they want and teachers are coming first now but schools are closed. I'm supposed to drive 30 miles to my county site when it opens if I get an appointment when there is one 5 minutes away in the next county. 
   The hospital is supposed to notify people through their charts but they haven't even started yet. 

They are supposed to be giving preference to 75 up and are still doing many others. I'm 78 I've registered but am afraid there are thousands ahead in the same group.

If I were incarcerated or homeless it would be easier to get a shot. The websites are terrible and crash. 
    England gave preference to the elderly as suggested by the CDC. ...😥

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

A lady just called and set up a vaccination appointment for me. She couldn't get my husband's information entered into her computer fast enough, so slots ran out. I had previously left two messages, one for each of us, to get appointments on the county's hotline number.  

@Mindy D 

Congratulations to you.

My state is totally out of vaccines, as are many.  So much for the big roll out of more three weeks ago.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Our CDC guidelines are to blame. I certainly understand that  direct care Hospital staff and  first responders  for fire, ambulance, police needed the vaccine first along with our military. However, the initial CDC guidelines included so many others who were young and who  may have already had the covid 19 virus . This set back the highest risk  who are age 65+  from getting the vaccine. Many states have been  slow in the rollout despite being told by the Feds the vaccines were coming. The states that have  administrated the most vaccine to residents have gone around the initial CDC guidelines. States have been holding back 2 doses of vaccine for the  health care workers other in category 1A , but many in that group refused the vaccine causing some states to end up throwing away doses . Now the CDC cjhanged it's guidelines to hurry up and admin vaccine to those 65+  fast  and they are also quitely saying that 2nd dose for either vaccine  can be givebn up to 6 weeks later  when the manufacturers Moderna & Pfizer  say 21 to 28 days later for the 2nd vaccine dose. I have no faith in CDC nor NIH nor local health departments .

They just keep adding more and more to each group bumping all those l 65+ iving at home not working at various institutions  further behind in getting the vaccine .  I don't know why they don't just  don't have drive through  vaccinations at  a school or mall  manned by the National Guard . They could call you by each zip code or one street or raod at a time to come to the drive up . This is crazy going on so many websites constantly  having the vaccine appointment say  check  back later - no appointments .

Private Physicians  at Johns Hopkins in Maryland seem to be no help - their site promises vaccine but it says  no appointments yet. My Husband received an email that he was in high risk but  that they may contact him later  for an appointment . They further suggested  trying to schedule through other companies

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

I'm in VA and my state has almost the worst reputation for vaccine amounts given. We are right next to West VA that has the best! Each county does whatever they want and teachers are coming first now but schools are closed. I'm supposed to drive 30 miles to my county site when it opens if I get an appointment when there is one 5 minutes away in the next county. 
   The hospital is supposed to notify people through their charts but they haven't even started yet. 

They are supposed to be giving preference to 75 up and are still doing many others. I'm 78 I've registered but am afraid there are thousands ahead in the same group.

If I were incarcerated or homeless it would be easier to get a shot. The websites are terrible and crash. 
    England gave preference to the elderly as suggested by the CDC. ...😥

Maryland is a mess to - Giant Food  , Martins Grocery , local health dept s and few private hospitals  are all  supposed to be giving these  vaccine appointment .

I don't see much moving in my part of Md.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Our CDC guidelines are to blame. I certainly understand that  direct care Hospital staff and  first responders  for fire, ambulance, police needed the vaccine first along with our military. However, the initial CDC guidelines included so many others who were young and who  may have already had the covid 19 virus . This set back the highest risk  who are age 65+  from getting the vaccine. Many states have been  slow in the rollout despite being told by the Feds the vaccines were coming. The states that have  administrated the most vaccine to residents have gone around the initial CDC guidelines. States have been holding back 2 doses of vaccine for the  health care workers other in category 1A , but many in that group refused the vaccine causing some states to end up throwing away doses . Now the CDC cjhanged it's guidelines to hurry up and admin vaccine to those 65+  fast  and they are also quitely saying that 2nd dose for either vaccine  can be givebn up to 6 weeks later  when the manufacturers Moderna & Pfizer  say 21 to 28 days later for the 2nd vaccine dose. I have no faith in CDC nor NIH nor local health departments .

They just keep adding more and more to each group bumping all those l 65+ iving at home not working at various institutions  further behind in getting the vaccine .  I don't know why they don't just  don't have drive through  vaccinations at  a school or mall  manned by the National Guard . They could call you by each zip code or one street or raod at a time to come to the drive up . This is crazy going on so many websites constantly  having the vaccine appointment say  check  back later - no appointments .

Private Physicians  at Johns Hopkins in Maryland seem to be no help - their site promises vaccine but it says  no appointments yet. My Husband received an email that he was in high risk but  that they may contact him later  for an appointment . They further suggested  trying to schedule through other companies

@skatting44 I wouldn't go-to a drive through vaccine. If I.go, I'm going to the center set up by my health care provider, which monitors us for possible reactions for 15 minutes after the injection.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

@skatting44 I wouldn't go-to a drive through vaccine. If I.go, I'm going to the center set up by my health care provider, which monitors us for possible reactions for 15 minutes after the injection.

@skatting44 @The drive throughs here are set up so that  after your vaccination you pull into a spot and wait while being monitored for any reaction. They do have licensed healthcare professionals at the sites. I couldn't  ask the lady registering me for my appointment tonight about this,  but I hope they have Epipens on hand just in case.