Trusted Contributor

@AuntG    Thank you for your response. I live in NJ and there is a law that once you retire from teaching, you can't hold a teaching job or substitute for at least 180 days, a full school year, or you lose your pension. I'd like to have a part time job anyway.

Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn    Thank you for your your well wishes. In my state of NJ, you can take and early retirement if you have 25 years of service and are at least 55 years old. Since I began my career right out of college, I hit my 25 years of service first, and then my age. I stayed on 2 extra years as I'm 57 now. 

Respected Contributor

Fabulous!  Wishing you a wonderful retirement!

Trusted Contributor

@Lisa Y 

Congrats! You'll love retirement life!

Honored Contributor

Re: I finally did it!

[ Edited ]

@Lisa Y,

You retire on my birthday!! Enjoy,

Happy Retirement Party Balloon Banner - Colorful Vector Illustration - Isolated On White Background Retirement stock vector

Respected Contributor

Re: I finally did it!

[ Edited ]

@Lisa Y   Congratulations!  I retired from teaching in 2019 after 28 years teaching special education on the elementary level.  It doesn't take long getting used to being retired.  Some of the littlest things like being able to do your grocery shopping on a Wednesday when the store is practically empty instead of fighting a crowded grocery store on a weekend.   I live only a few blocks away from the school I retired from and have to pass it often in my travels.  It always brings a smile to my face each and every time I pass it, but the freedom of doing what I want when I want is the best!   Enjoy your retirement and best wishes!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Trusted Contributor

Congratulations on your retirement!  I taught for 33 years and then supervised student teachers for our state university for 11 years.  I really enjoyed having a part time job after retirement.  In fact I still work part time as a lifeguard at our local rec center, but that's another story. 

I feel like I taught in the glory days of teaching.  Salaries got better, students were still well-behaved most of the time, and parents cared.  I'm glad I retired while I still loved my job. 

Respected Contributor
Congratulations on your retirement! Enjoy all that you have worked so hard for. Well done!
Honored Contributor

I'm happy for you!  I remember feeling all the things you feel now.   There's no time to prepare for the next chapter when you retire early.  I didn't truly feel happy about retiring for a year.  I was happy about walking away from all the stress which was affecting my physical and mental health.  For a year, I missed the work I loved and my coworkers and my routine.  I even missed all the Zoom meetings!  I missed using my brain!  I missed problem solving and mentoring.  I felt everything you feel now but as I settled into my retirement, the positives out weighed the negatives.  Weird but my body felt so much better.  It's been two years and I actually have not figured out my next chapter.  I'm seriously thinking about getting a master's in literature, I'll do it online.  It's just for me and to keep my brain active.  

Trusted Contributor

@sandy53    Thank you for your kind words. Yes, the "glory days" for sure!! I could have retired 2 years ago, but my son was starting college and the pandemic was still around. I needed to work to have some normalcy in my life. My class at that time was fabulous that I thought, "I can do another year." This year's class was so sweet and kind, I could have done yet another year. However, there has been a lot of movement of teachers and loads of drama, that it's not worth it anymore. I decided to go out on a high note.

Have a great day.