Respected Contributor

Re: I don't think we should do this

In Alaska we are told to take down bird feeders because they call bears.

Trusted Contributor

all the reasons why I still feed them...been doing it for years

https://www.kaytee.com/learn-care/wild-bird/5-reasons-to-feed-backyard-birds-in-winter

Contributor

I live in Michigan.  Black Capped Chickadees do not fly south for the winter.  I feed them in winter.

Esteemed Contributor

There are still year round birds who eat.  I have hummers like that.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The Audubon Society and The Nature Conservancy both continue to be strong advocates of the winter feeding of birds, particularly during very severe conditions. The benefits strongly outweigh any possible negatives (crowding, unsanitary feeders....)

There is no ornithological study or research I can locate which supports the notion that migratory patterns are permanently interrupted by feeding. 

@Johnnyeager   @GoneButNotForgotten 

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

It think it's a bad idea to leave out birdfeeders in the winter. Why? because it can seriously disrupt migration patterns. Birds that would normally fly south (or somewhere) will hang around if they have a food source in the winter. Some will freeze to death and others will not go to their usual mating grounds and therefore, not reproduce.

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Did you forget about the thread you started?   Where did you get the idea feeding birds can "serioualy disrupt migration patterns"?    Who said this?   

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee   My brother in law is a real bird tender and says that crows in particular always remember and recognize someone who feeds them.

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

@SilleeMee   My brother in law is a real bird tender and says that crows in particular always remember and recognize someone who feeds them.

@Burnsite 

I didn't know that!  My MIL had a crow on her farm that always came around when she was gardening. It would sit on the fence and just watch her work in the vegetable garden. She had a green bean section and always wondered where the green beans were disappearing to. She blamed the neighbor's hog but the neighbor claimed his hog never left his yard. It was probably that crow and it knew my MIL was the person growing them so the crow was just checking out his 'feeder'...lol!

That crow came around whenever she was sitting out on the deck, too. It would sit right on the deck rail and stare at her like it wanted something...food probably!