Respected Contributor

I don't think we should do this

It think it's a bad idea to leave out birdfeeders in the winter. Why? because it can seriously disrupt migration patterns. Birds that would normally fly south (or somewhere) will hang around if they have a food source in the winter. Some will freeze to death and others will not go to their usual mating grounds and therefore, not reproduce.

Honored Contributor

Re: I don't think we should do this

I always heard that winter was the more important time to feed the birds, since not all birds head south.

Esteemed Contributor

There are some birds that don't migrate and hang around all winter.

Cardinals, come to mind.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

It think it's a bad idea to leave out birdfeeders in the winter. Why? because it can seriously disrupt migration patterns. Birds that would normally fly south (or somewhere) will hang around if they have a food source in the winter. Some will freeze to death and others will not go to their usual mating grounds and therefore, not reproduce.

I don't know of any birds that hang around after it's time to leave. My hummingbirds left the second week of October, as they do here every year.The robins are gone, and all I have are winter birds, same as every year. We feed here all winter, with food for woodpeckers and squirrel and all the regulars.

Honored Contributor

I'm in the deep south and I feed all year round, especially in winter when bugs, berries, etc. aren't as readily available for them.

We raise bluebirds, at least 15 babies every year, but all of our birds enjoy having food available in winter.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I live in an area where Canadian Geese spend their winters.

They start arriving in early fall, and stay until late spring.

Such beautiful birds.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

There are some birds that don't migrate and hang around all winter.

Cardinals, come to mind.

They are here all summer and have their babies, I see them all the time. Don't know what the above is talking about.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been feeding the birds for years, here the robins always leave and the snow birds always come. And there are bluejays and cardinals all year long. Right now all the birds seem to be eating acorns and bugs. They aren't very interested in bird seed.  

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I live in an area where Canadian Geese spend their winters.

I'm sorry but I hate Canadian Geese. In the NW they're nothing but pests: they eat all your grass and leave nothing but tremendous piles of poop. They are often referred to as Canadian Rats.

Honored Contributor

I have never had migratory birds hang around.  I keep my hummingbird feeder out until late October.  It's out now, and when I can determine that the water level is no longer declining I'll bring it in for winter.  In the spring, we have grosbeaks come through.  While there wouldn't be a chance of them freezing to death if they stayed, they don't.  They'll hang around about a week and move on.  It's just built into their nature.  I don't think birds have the capacity to override that by such a rational thought process that just because there is food it would be a good place the hang.