Honored Contributor

Re: I cut the cord

[ Edited ]

I cut the cord in Oct. 2015 and all I have is antenna t.v.  I do not watch much television ever since I prefer to read.  So when they were forcing me to expand for more I said come get it.  Never looked back or regretted the decision.  There is way more to life than cable t.v.  Plus I have two local stations so that is fine with me on what is going on outside.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@catter70 I hope you love it as much as we do...we cut it about two years ago, signed up for a few streaming services and saved A LOT of money. I have more TV than I ever did and still can't watch everything. Got that little 25$ indoor antenna for local stations and it's all good. My adult 20-30 something kids helped us navigate initially and yep, there's a learning curve but it comes quick.  Best thing we ever did for home entertainment.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I went to satellite about 10 years ago and haven't once considered returning to cable. My satellite bill is 1/3 of my cable bill and I get all the same channels. In addition, I negotiated a discount with satellite which helps a lot!  Cable wasn't open to negotiating.

@CalminHeart  I hate that "negotiating bull****. I will not go through that on the phone!  Dropped Sirius Radio because they made me do that every year...

I just pay my cable bill. I can afford whatever. I am not going to drop cable to save a few dollars.... I am not going to give up channels...pay extra for streaming....negotiate with an air head pawn employee  on the phone... and have a dozen remotes with different  passwords....

JUST NO. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden   Now sign up for Netflix if you haven't already, and find a nice streaming service...they all have free trials.  Find one that has the programs you like to watch. I've used Sling, Discovery+ and YouTubeTV but there are others.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden    You might also get an interior antenna for each of your TVs.  Very inexpensive and you'll get all your local, PBS lots of old sitcoms, and some shopping channels.  Simple installation.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@catter70 

If you stay off cable for about 3 months  they might start sending you new customer offers

Honored Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

I finally cut mine...the day BEFORE the tornadoes breezed through my area! Discovered the drawback is that I can't get current news and was kind of lost during the warnings I couldn't access. I can get one "local" station, we have none in my town, but the news is on a half hour delay so that wasn't very helpful during emergency circumstances. I'll have to figure it all out before hurricane season begins. Surprised that The Weather Channel is not available unless you have a cable company! My cost kept rising and I spent the last couple months realizing that on the weekend nights when I usually watch TV had only sports events, which I am not remotely interested in watching. Between the sports and the mindless games and watching people who believe they're talented, I just couldn't justify cable any longer. I have a Roku device and it's taking some getting used to but I know I'll be all right. I have friends nearby who will look out for me, I've let them know I need to call on them during emergencies. My cable provider told me that they have to keep raising the costs because of the price sports companies are charging them. Don't even get me started on that one!

@Carolina925 our local News stations all have apps that you can use to keep up with the storms.  The app streams the newscast whenever they're on doing storm coverage.  I often have to use it since my DirecTV goes out whenever we have a storm.  

Hubby wants to get rid of DirecTV, but I see the streaming services going up in price and you have to get several to get all the channels you want, so it's going to end up being the same price in the end.  I also like flpping channels and looking at the Guide.  

Recently, on my ski trip my friend was telling me she had cut the cord and was using only her antenna.  All she watches is reruns of old TV shows.  Even though I think most of the new content is mostly junk, watching old reruns doesn't float my boat. 

Honored Contributor

@Carolina925 You can probably go to the local news website and stream it from there if you want to. I've done that before.  Also works with QVC as well.  You can stream any channel you want to from the website with your phone or tablet.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Carolina925 wrote:

I finally cut mine...the day BEFORE the tornadoes breezed through my area! Discovered the drawback is that I can't get current news and was kind of lost during the warnings I couldn't access. I can get one "local" station, we have none in my town, but the news is on a half hour delay so that wasn't very helpful during emergency circumstances. I'll have to figure it all out before hurricane season begins. Surprised that The Weather Channel is not available unless you have a cable company! My cost kept rising and I spent the last couple months realizing that on the weekend nights when I usually watch TV had only sports events, which I am not remotely interested in watching. Between the sports and the mindless games and watching people who believe they're talented, I just couldn't justify cable any longer. I have a Roku device and it's taking some getting used to but I know I'll be all right. I have friends nearby who will look out for me, I've let them know I need to call on them during emergencies. My cable provider told me that they have to keep raising the costs because of the price sports companies are charging them. Don't even get me started on that one!

@Carolina925 our local News stations all have apps that you can use to keep up with the storms.  The app streams the newscast whenever they're on doing storm coverage.  I often have to use it since my DirecTV goes out whenever we have a storm.  

Hubby wants to get rid of DirecTV, but I see the streaming services going up in price and you have to get several to get all the channels you want, so it's going to end up being the same price in the end.  I also like flpping channels and looking at the Guide.  

Recently, on my ski trip my friend was telling me she had cut the cord and was using only her antenna.  All she watches is reruns of old TV shows.  Even though I think most of the new content is mostly junk, watching old reruns doesn't float my boat. 

Our local news channels also run their storm coverage live on Facebook as well as their websites and apps during bad weather.

That comes in handy when my satellite goes out right as the storm is approaching my area!

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 , yes that's available. I was afraid to use my phone in case the power decided to go out and I couldn't recharge it quick enough. I can stream on my tablet and will do that. I just wasn't prepared not to be able to stream via TV. Thanks for the advice.