Respected Contributor

@geezerette , my town is too small to have its own TV station. I was getting alerts from my weather radio but those alerts are for a 2-state area since I live really close to another state. I live near a military base and their sirens were going off. I knew something was going on and if I had been able to keep my cool I could've figured out something. Tornadoes scare the heck out of me, not used to them in my area. Thanks for the advice.

Super Contributor

There are so many paid streaming services that will have the same channel lineup minus all the music channels.  Sports, local, it's all available for a fraction of cable cost.  Youtubetv, Sling, etc.  I love it 

Honored Contributor

Re: I cut the cord

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SeaMaiden    You might also get an interior antenna for each of your TVs.  Very inexpensive and you'll get all your local, PBS lots of old sitcoms, and some shopping channels.  Simple installation.

@Kachina624   Good Morning to You! Yes, I purchased an antena that goes in the window for those times the cable might go out say during a storm or whatever.. it gives a great amount of channels!  If one antenna covered all 5 TVs we use in the house at once I would just use that... but it only works for one TV at a time.  Only downfall...

Honored Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

@geezerette , my town is too small to have its own TV station. I was getting alerts from my weather radio but those alerts are for a 2-state area since I live really close to another state. I live near a military base and their sirens were going off. I knew something was going on and if I had been able to keep my cool I could've figured out something. Tornadoes scare the heck out of me, not used to them in my area. Thanks for the advice.

@Carolina925 

That doesn't sound good.  I live in the country and sometimes it's a huge pain in the neck.

I live 60 miles from where my "local" TV stations broadcast.  But they cover the whole state and the portions of the surrounding states in their viewing area.  They stay on air until the last little weather threat is gone, no matter where it may be in the state.

My weather radio is programmable by county so that I can just get the warnings that are close to me.  I assumed they all were like that, but apparently not.

Also, you can always download a weather app or go to a weather site on your computer for the alerts and warnings in your area.  

Respected Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

I finally cut mine...the day BEFORE the tornadoes breezed through my area! Discovered the drawback is that I can't get current news and was kind of lost during the warnings I couldn't access. I can get one "local" station, we have none in my town, but the news is on a half hour delay so that wasn't very helpful during emergency circumstances. I'll have to figure it all out before hurricane season begins. Surprised that The Weather Channel is not available unless you have a cable company! My cost kept rising and I spent the last couple months realizing that on the weekend nights when I usually watch TV had only sports events, which I am not remotely interested in watching. Between the sports and the mindless games and watching people who believe they're talented, I just couldn't justify cable any longer. I have a Roku device and it's taking some getting used to but I know I'll be all right. I have friends nearby who will look out for me, I've let them know I need to call on them during emergencies. My cable provider told me that they have to keep raising the costs because of the price sports companies are charging them. Don't even get me started on that one!

Do you have a smartphone or tablet?  Get the weather channel app and alerts on either one.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I went to satellite about 10 years ago and haven't once considered returning to cable. My satellite bill is 1/3 of my cable bill and I get all the same channels. In addition, I negotiated a discount with satellite which helps a lot!  Cable wasn't open to negotiating.

@CalminHeart  I hate that "negotiating bull****. I will not go through that on the phone!  Dropped Sirius Radio because they made me do that every year...

I just pay my cable bill. I can afford whatever. I am not going to drop cable to save a few dollars.... I am not going to give up channels...pay extra for streaming....negotiate with an air head pawn employee  on the phone... and have a dozen remotes with different  passwords....

JUST NO. 

In our case, as I said up thread, it would be a savings of $120 a month.  JMO that's not a few dollars, that's a lot of money.

Respected Contributor

I have cable on my tvs  but I also have an indoor mohu leaf 30 indoor tv antenna on all three.   I only have to use an amplifier on one of the antennas.

@catter70 

how long did it take to port your landline phone #

Respected Contributor

@lovescats , it took a couple of days and the landline didn't shut down until that completed. They took care of it when I got the cell phone. Up until then, I'd been using a tracfone on a rare occassion, but that would have been too expensive to use all the time. I would have liked to keep the landline and cable, but the money I'll save can be put towards meds, etc.

Trusted Contributor

Question for all those who cut the cable.  We are thinking about doing the same and just going with an antennae. 

What do you do for Internet service ??  We have comcast for cable/internet.    Did you just drop the cable and keep the Internet or did you get a new Internet provider.

Honored Contributor

Congrats! I love not having a cable box. I have my Roku and my Fire cube and that's plenty. With my Fire cube I can even say, "Alexa, turn off the TV" and she does it.

With a Roku, I just include the streaming Apps I actually use. So I've got VIki, Daily Burn, YouTube (I still have the legacy app), Amazon video, Paramount Plus, Peacock, all right were I can get at them easily. No more wading though endless cable channels of balderdash and no more funding cable channels that promote culture wars.

Netflix and Hulu are in my lineup too but I don't use those as much as I thought I would. SlingTV I sometimes activate for a month or two if there is something I want to watch on a channel that is only available there.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr