Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@software @nomless

This might help you to avoid receiving credi card soliticians in the future..... This is from the Federal Trade Commission and works better than the Do Not Call list........It has totally stopped these credit card offers for me.  Hopefully it will work for you too...............

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0148-prescreened-credit-and-insurance-offers

How can I reduce the number of unsolicited credit and insurance offers I get?

If you decide that you don't want to receive prescreened offers of credit and insurance, you have two choices: You can opt out of receiving them for five years or opt out of receiving them permanently. 

To opt out for five years: Call toll-free 1-888-5-OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688) or visit www.optoutprescreen.com. The phone number and website are operated by the major consumer reporting companies.

To opt out permanently: You may begin the permanent Opt-Out process online at www.optoutprescreen.com. To complete your request, you must return the signed Permanent Opt-Out Election form, which will be provided after you initiate your online request. 

When you call or visit the website, you'll be asked to provide certain personal information, including your home telephone number, name, Social Security number, and date of birth. The information you provide is confidential and will be used only to process your request to opt out.

Will calling 1-888-5-OPTOUT or visiting www.optoutprescreen.com stop all unsolicited offers of credit and insurance?

Calling the opt-out line or visiting the website will stop the prescreened solicitations that are based on lists from the major consumer reporting companies. You may continue to get solicitations for credit and insurance based on lists from other sources. For example, opting out won't end solicitations from local merchants, religious and charitable associations, professional and alumni associations, and companies with which you already conduct business. To stop mail from groups like these — as well as mail addressed to "occupant" or "resident" — you must contact each source directly.

The "optoutprescreen" works, @Spurt.   I opted out 'way back, maybe when it was first offered, and I've haven't received any insurance or credit card offers since.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@software @nomless

This might help you to avoid receiving credi card soliticians in the future..... This is from the Federal Trade Commission and works better than the Do Not Call list........It has totally stopped these credit card offers for me.  Hopefully it will work for you too...............

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0148-prescreened-credit-and-insurance-offers

How can I reduce the number of unsolicited credit and insurance offers I get?

If you decide that you don't want to receive prescreened offers of credit and insurance, you have two choices: You can opt out of receiving them for five years or opt out of receiving them permanently. 

To opt out for five years: Call toll-free 1-888-5-OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688) or visit www.optoutprescreen.com. The phone number and website are operated by the major consumer reporting companies.

To opt out permanently: You may begin the permanent Opt-Out process online at www.optoutprescreen.com. To complete your request, you must return the signed Permanent Opt-Out Election form, which will be provided after you initiate your online request. 

When you call or visit the website, you'll be asked to provide certain personal information, including your home telephone number, name, Social Security number, and date of birth. The information you provide is confidential and will be used only to process your request to opt out.

Will calling 1-888-5-OPTOUT or visiting www.optoutprescreen.com stop all unsolicited offers of credit and insurance?

Calling the opt-out line or visiting the website will stop the prescreened solicitations that are based on lists from the major consumer reporting companies. You may continue to get solicitations for credit and insurance based on lists from other sources. For example, opting out won't end solicitations from local merchants, religious and charitable associations, professional and alumni associations, and companies with which you already conduct business. To stop mail from groups like these — as well as mail addressed to "occupant" or "resident" — you must contact each source directly.

The "optoutprescreen" works, @Spurt.   I opted out 'way back, maybe when it was first offered, and I've haven't received any insurance or credit card offers since.

@dooBdoo

Yep, no more credit card offers........I still occasionally get an insurance offer, but interesting enough when I opted out of AARP solicitiations (once your over 50 they start marketing to you)......soiicitations for insurance got even rarer.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I am with the group that feels this was not a scam but a legit offer from Master Card. The option is yours - accept or decline but I do not think they were trying to scam you.

If anything you jumped to conclusions without looking at it...but to say you were almost scammed is not accurate. With all of the TRUE scamming out there - this isn't even close.

In the future "OPT-OUT" of prescreened offers and you won't have this issue but rest comfy..nobody was trying to scam you.

Respected Contributor

I got a scam call from New York yesterday.....luckily, I was in my Jazzercise class and didn't answer, but they did leave a voice message......said it was from the IRS and they had been trying to get in touch with me for six months and since they got no response, a lawsuit had been filed against me....blah...blah...blah.   I did a reverse phone number look-up on Switchboard.com and it confirmed what I knew......it was a scam....just blocked the number.

Honored Contributor

When I get offers in the mail that include postage paid envelopes I put other companies advertising in them and mail them back to them.  I have been doing this for several years.  The rest goes in the recycle bin.