Honored Contributor

Since this thread is regarding a real mail subject;  We've been receiving real mail survey letters. About seven or eight, so far.  They said that we've been specially selected for this survey.  i haven't been filling out or returning the surveys.  The last one stated that I cannot be replaced by another person/household, so please answer and return the survey.    I'm very tired of receiving these surveys, and I'm wondering if I should answer the questions, giving false information.  Or just keep ignoring the surveys.  I'm quite sure, that if it's a legitimate survey company, they can surely find another household in my neighborhood.   Also, why were we specifically selected to begin with?  They must have some sort of reason or information why.  Any comments will be welcomed.   Thanks!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY Just put the info in their envelope and use their return postage.Dont fill anything out and eventually they will stop.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@ROMARY Just put the info in their envelope and use their return postage.Dont fill anything out and eventually they will stop.

Put other pieces of junk paper into the envelope too.  Make the  envelope full and as heavy as possible.  They will soon get tired of paying the expensive return postage and take you off of their list.

Honored Contributor

Re: I almost got scammed

[ Edited ]

@software @nomless

This might help you to avoid receiving credi card soliticians in the future..... This is from the Federal Trade Commission and works better than the Do Not Call list........It has totally stopped these credit card offers for me.  Hopefully it will work for you too...............

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0148-prescreened-credit-and-insurance-offers

How can I reduce the number of unsolicited credit and insurance offers I get?

If you decide that you don't want to receive prescreened offers of credit and insurance, you have two choices: You can opt out of receiving them for five years or opt out of receiving them permanently. 

To opt out for five years: Call toll-free 1-888-5-OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688) or visit www.optoutprescreen.com. The phone number and website are operated by the major consumer reporting companies.

To opt out permanently: You may begin the permanent Opt-Out process online at www.optoutprescreen.com. To complete your request, you must return the signed Permanent Opt-Out Election form, which will be provided after you initiate your online request. 

When you call or visit the website, you'll be asked to provide certain personal information, including your home telephone number, name, Social Security number, and date of birth. The information you provide is confidential and will be used only to process your request to opt out.

Will calling 1-888-5-OPTOUT or visiting www.optoutprescreen.com stop all unsolicited offers of credit and insurance?

Calling the opt-out line or visiting the website will stop the prescreened solicitations that are based on lists from the major consumer reporting companies. You may continue to get solicitations for credit and insurance based on lists from other sources. For example, opting out won't end solicitations from local merchants, religious and charitable associations, professional and alumni associations, and companies with which you already conduct business. To stop mail from groups like these — as well as mail addressed to "occupant" or "resident" — you must contact each source directly.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Since this thread is regarding a real mail subject;  We've been receiving real mail survey letters. About seven or eight, so far.  They said that we've been specially selected for this survey.  i haven't been filling out or returning the surveys.  The last one stated that I cannot be replaced by another person/household, so please answer and return the survey.    I'm very tired of receiving these surveys, and I'm wondering if I should answer the questions, giving false information.  Or just keep ignoring the surveys.  I'm quite sure, that if it's a legitimate survey company, they can surely find another household in my neighborhood.   Also, why were we specifically selected to begin with?  They must have some sort of reason or information why.  Any comments will be welcomed.   Thanks!

@ROMARY

I have never tried this but here's some info that might be helpful........

The Direct Marketing Association's (DMA) Mail Preference Service (MPS) lets you opt out of receiving unsolicited commercial mail from many national companies for five years. When you register with this service, your name will be put on a "delete" file and made available to direct-mail marketers and organizations. This will reduce most of your unsolicited mail. However, your registration will not stop mailings from organizations that do not use the DMA's Mail Preference Service. To register with DMA's Mail Preference Service, go towww.dmachoice.org, or mail your request with a $1 processing fee to:

DMAchoice
Direct Marketing Association
P.O. Box 643
Carmel, NY 10512

The DMA also has an Email Preference Service (eMPS) to help you reduce unsolicited commercial emails. To opt out of receiving unsolicited commercial email from DMA members, visit www.dmachoice.org. Registration is free and good for six years.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0148-prescreened-credit-and-insurance-offers

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@software @nomless

This might help you to avoid receiving credi card soliticians in the future..... This is from the Federal Trade Commission and works better than the Do Not Call list........It has totally stopped these credit card offers for me.  Hopefully it will work for you too...............

How can I reduce the number of unsolicited credit and insurance offers I get?

If you decide that you don't want to receive prescreened offers of credit and insurance, you have two choices: You can opt out of receiving them for five years or opt out of receiving them permanently. 

To opt out for five years: Call toll-free 1-888-5-OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688) or visit www.optoutprescreen.com. The phone number and website are operated by the major consumer reporting companies.

To opt out permanently: You may begin the permanent Opt-Out process online at www.optoutprescreen.com. To complete your request, you must return the signed Permanent Opt-Out Election form, which will be provided after you initiate your online request. 

When you call or visit the website, you'll be asked to provide certain personal information, including your home telephone number, name, Social Security number, and date of birth. The information you provide is confidential and will be used only to process your request to opt out.

Will calling 1-888-5-OPTOUT or visiting www.optoutprescreen.com stop all unsolicited offers of credit and insurance?

Calling the opt-out line or visiting the website will stop the prescreened solicitations that are based on lists from the major consumer reporting companies. You may continue to get solicitations for credit and insurance based on lists from other sources. For example, opting out won't end solicitations from local merchants, religious and charitable associations, professional and alumni associations, and companies with which you already conduct business. To stop mail from groups like these — as well as mail addressed to "occupant" or "resident" — you must contact each source directly.

Thanks for this.   I get mostly insurance offers, I'll be 65 in a couple of months, you can imagine, also funeral offers!!!

If I hadn't been expecting my new MasterCard, I would have tossed that envelope at first glance.

Esteemed Contributor

@nomless wrote:

I get cc solicitations quite often. They are not scams, they are legitimate offers. The recipient can choose to accept by taking an action or to decline by tossing/shredding it. 

Exactly.  It's just an offer.  Decline or accept, it's as easy as that.  They're nothing new.  It's perfectly possible to have more than one MasterCard.  This wasn't an attempt to fool, just a solicitation for a new card.  There's nothing wrong with that (although of course everyone should read the fine print re annual charges, etc, when applying for any credit card.)

You're right - They are legitimate offers, not scams.

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I just wouldn't do them.  I doubt you've really been "specially selected".  They're probably used for marketing purposes.  If it's unclear where they're coming from, I wouldn't waste my time by providing false info or any info at all.  You're not obligated to do it, so my advice is.....don't!  :-)

Respected Contributor

It wasn't a scam. It was a solicitation for another card. Cut it into little pieces.

Honored Contributor

Re: I almost got scammed

[ Edited ]

ROMARY 1 wrote:

@ROMARY, about 6 or 7 years ago I signed up with Catalog Choice, and opted out with the DMAchoice website (to block direct marketing USPS mail), and I also occasionally needed to opt out with individual companies.   

As a result, I receive no more than about 10 pieces (maybe even less) of unwanted postal mail in the span of a year.

catalogchoice.org

and

dmachoice.thedma.org

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova