Honored Contributor

I consider myself sharp, I don't react to every phone call, every email.   I learned a long time ago to be cautious about every little thing.

I was waiting for my new MasterCard to come in the mail.    I have a $2k limit, never use it.    So I get this mail from MasterCard.   I stick it in my handbag, thinking it's my card and I'll activate it when I have a minute.  (I could feel the card through the envelope)

After opening and reading it said my limit was $1k.    I thought that was strange.   Maybe since I don't use it the limit got lowered.   The card was in my hand, with the activation sticker on it.

I started reading further.    It was a SOLICITATION for a MasterCard!    I'm so glad I did not fall for it.    My real MasterCard on my established account came the next day.

Close call

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you caught it before you activated it.  That card might have even had a fee attached to it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

I consider myself sharp, I don't react to every phone call, every email.   I learned a long time ago to be cautious about every little thing.

I was waiting for my new MasterCard to come in the mail.    I have a $2k limit, never use it.    So I get this mail from MasterCard.   I stick it in my handbag, thinking it's my card and I'll activate it when I have a minute.  (I could feel the card through the envelope)

After opening and reading it said my limit was $1k.    I thought that was strange.   Maybe since I don't use it the limit got lowered.   The card was in my hand, with the activation sticker on it.

I started reading further.    It was a SOLICITATION for a MasterCard!    I'm so glad I did not fall for it.    My real MasterCard on my established account came the next day.

Close call

@software  What the heck is this world coming to.   Have to be afraid to answer your phone, have to be afraid to open your mail.  Really a shame!

Honored Contributor

@software

I don't understand how "you almost got scammed" if the mail was from your own cc company. confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@software

I don't understand how "you almost got scammed" if the mail was from your own cc company. confused.gif

No, @Mz iMac

It wasn't from HER cc company...it was for A mastercard from elsewhere....

the op stated:

"I started reading further.    It was a SOLICITATION for a MasterCard!    I'm so glad I did not fall for it.    My real MasterCard on my established account came the next day."

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife

Thank you for clarifying.  My eyeballs read it as a solicitation FROM Mastercard.  My brain read it correctly. doh.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

The envelope return address for the solicitation had the MasterCard logo on it as well as the name and address of MasterCard, or so I thought

@Mz iMac wrote:

@RespectLife

Thank you for clarifying.  My eyeballs read it as a solicitation FROM Mastercard.  My brain read it correctly. doh.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Ahhh, it was one of those, "You're Pre-Approved" solicitations.

I'd hardly call that a "scam".

Respected Contributor

I wouldn’t consider that a scam.

I’ve gotten those in the mail too.   They look like a credit card, but they’re cardboard 

Respected Contributor

Re: I almost got scammed

[ Edited ]

I get cc solicitations quite often. They are not scams, they are legitimate offers. The recipient can choose to accept by taking an action or to decline by tossing/shredding it.