Esteemed Contributor

I have an alley way behind the house that I am renting, and the weeds were rather tall.

I am responsible for yard maitenance, and the folliage behind my fence.

Today I took a weed whacker to the tall grasses, and in my clean up, I found a used hyperdermic needle!Woman Surprised

I also found socks, an empty coke bottle, an empty liquor bottle, and foam rubber that I guess someone used to sleep on.

Oh, and my back fence had been gang taged.

I took my hose that had a nozzle on it, and removed the tag as best as I could.

And on my garage door which opens in the alley way (which I never use), somone had taken black spray paint, and sprayed a frown face on it.

This is why I was shocked that absolutly nothing had been taken when I went off to work one day and forgetting to close and lock my back door.

As soon as I can get enough $ together, I want to buy a little house, hopefully in a better neighborhood.

There is something to be said about gated communities.

They may not be perfect, but they have to be better than this.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

wow! you went to work, and left the house unlocked? i guess you were lucky. 

i wouldn't like finding that stuff there either. yes, time to move.  why do you have to keep the weeds trimmed in back of your fence?  isn't that public roadway or something?

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

wow! you went to work, and left the house unlocked? i guess you were lucky. 

i wouldn't like finding that stuff there either. yes, time to move.  why do you have to keep the weeds trimmed in back of your fence?  isn't that public roadway or something?

I have been here 1 year next month, and in all of that time, no one has trimmed the weeds behind my fence that faces the alleyway.

The weeds were dry and a fire hazard.

And yes, one morning, I went off to work totally and compleatly forgetting that my back door was wide open.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819    Is there a bright light on that area? If not maybe the city or county can install one and have periodic police checks.

It would help until you can move, (which I certainly would)! Be sure to lock doors and windows, maybe install cameras. 

Respected Contributor

You do need to move.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819"Oh, and my back fence had been gang taged."

"This is why I was shocked that absolutly nothing had been taken when I went off to work one day and forgetting to close and lock my back door."

In my experience, gangs "don't censored.gif where they eat."   If you get my drift. whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Good luck coming up with the $ to buy a house in a nice neighborhood. You get what you pay for and if you've never owned a home before you will find that with taxes and maintenace you will need a good chunk of change. I think you might want to check out the neighborhood before purchasing so you don't have the same problems.

Esteemed Contributor

Last Novemeber, the next door to where I live, caught on fire.

I was woken out of a sound sleep by pounding on my front door, and someone yelling "Police!!".

I sleepily walked to the door, and two officers were standing there, and one of them told me that the house next door was fully engulfed, and that I needed to get myself and anyone else inside, out, now.

Now, you would think that would send me in to a state of panic, as it would most people.

No, not me.

I just stood there, calm, and thought, "You're cute."

Yes, I know, I'm weird. I admit that I am weird. I accept the fact that I am weird.

Anyway, I went to go wake Dad.

On my way to his room, I saw the flames and that woke me up!!!

I said, "Dad, wake up. We need to leave! The house next door is on fire!"

"What?", he said sleepily.

I hollared, "FIRE!!!!"

His father having had been a firefighter way back in the day, and having had his childhood home catch fire, that woke my dad up.

Have you ever tried to hurry a 91 year old?

It isn't easy.

He put on his shirt, pants, shoes, and wanted his jacket.

I gave him my heaviest, warmest coat, which just engulfed him, and we made our way outside and across the street.

Thankfully, the fire didn't touch my house.

I made a video of the aftermath the next day, as well as take some pictures.

The house has since been torn down, and is now just a vacant lot.

fire1.jpg

fire2.jpg

This is the house that caught on fire last November.

You can see just how close it was to my house.

It has since been torn down, and is now just a vacant lot.

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers, I agree. I think a security system and cameras are needed by most home owners nowadays. Safety needs to be a priority. 

Honored Contributor

Wow!  I would try to move ASAP even if it means you're still renting.  Is there an area which is nicer & safer that you can afford?  I hope you can find something....I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.