Esteemed Contributor

Re: I NOW HATE CHRISTMAS THANKS TO QVC!

@Bri369 wrote:

I don't know how the hosts can stand having to present all that junk over and over for months on end. 

Part of what makes Christmas so special to me is anticipating the holidays and all the decorations.  If I had to look at it starting from now, I would be so sick of it.  

They have effectively taken the anticipation out of it for us with starting it so early.  It's not just QVC for those who say "don't watch."  Everyone follows suit....Big business typically works the same way as none want to be outdone by the other.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I alway struggle with this.  If it's something I don't like I just don't watch.

I'm really not into holidays at all anymore so I just don't watch any of the christmas stuff.

OTOH, this 'half a year of christmas' thing seems to be very popular over all so that explains why they do it.    If it weren't popular enough to be making them good money they wouldn't do it.  I'm fine with that because I don't need to watch.

I also don't care for the christmas movie thing they do on the Hallmark channel (I don't watch them), but my complaint is that they show these movies 24/7.   

Why now just have a couple a day or something and then there can be other programming?  Why does it have to be 24/7 for months?   I guess it's popular so I just live with it and wait until other stuff comes back.  I actually pretty much just watch the reruns of sitcoms there, like Frasier and Cheers.  They used to do I Love Lucy but I guess that went away.  I'm going to try and bank a bunch of episodes of Cheers and maybe some Frasier before they stop showing them for a while.  

Bottom line is that these are business and if they are smart about it they do what makes money.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I dont usually watch the Shopping Shows anymore. 

Helps me curb my purchases.

But let me ask:  

Does "CIJ" mean "Christmas in July?"  or "Christmas in June?"

This is June..  I guess it means "June?"

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD - Did it ever occur to you to just tell the people in your life that you wanted NO gifts?  That, if they wanted to "give" you something that wasn't (your word) cr*p, to donate to your favorite charity?

Most people would understand that and it would keep you from secretly seething about "horrendous" gifts that the giver probably wanted for him/herself.  (That's a novel idea.)

OTOH, if you're lucky enough to have people who care enough about you to want to acknowledge your existence at any time of the year, consider that a blessing and don't disparage their thoughfulness.  Not eveyone has that.

Honored Contributor

@Secretariat1 - Well, blaming a shopping channel for hating Christmas.  Who knew they had such power?  Woman Frustrated

(No shopping channel or other retailer affects my opinion of things important to me.)

Valued Contributor

SIMPLE solution.....  DO SOMETHING ELSE!

Honored Contributor

If you want discount Christmas stuff, January and February are the times to shop. Clearance galore. If you don't care about price then just shop normally closer to Christmas.

Personally I have way more than enough Chistmas decorations. Not sure who QVC thinks they would sell these items to. Young first time home owners? They don't watch tv.

And it's not like Christmas stuff easily wears out. It doesn't need to be replaced often. In fact, the older my ornaments are, often the more precious to me they are. They have family tradition and love behind them.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Frequent Contributor

@elated wrote:

I think Christmas has become so commercialized that we have lost the true meaning. It is sad to see what was suppose to be so beautiful is now only valued in dollars spent. I am not into CIJ.

THIS!!

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I love to think about Christmastime during these hot months. The whole season seems so romantic and magical when I think ahead.  I've even been known to watch my favorite Christmas movie, "It's a Wonderful Life" during the dog-days of summer. I've never done any shopping this early in the year, but now that I'm retired I might just do that.

@house_cat  I hear you - there's something exciting about Christmas! And it's something to look forward to. Christmas is the best time of the year. After you watch your movie, tune in to the Honeymooners Christmas episode from 1955.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVZVYaiG0cI 

Respected Contributor

Since it seems that things ordered sit in "process", then "packaging" for such a long time, the orders will actually arrive in time.

Just a guess.