Regular Contributor

Re: I Know There Is No Good Answer But.........

@Kachina624 

@Kachina624 wrote:

One of the not-too-bright is the mother who set it in the front yard.  I live in a safe neighborhood but am very conscious of what I leave out front, if only briefly.  If it was wet, she should have taken a towel and dried it off.

It still does not give people the right to steal.  

Honored Contributor

@Forbidden Fruit 

It doesn't give them a right to steal, but makes the victim an unwitting accomplice by providing the temptation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

WTH is wrong with people.

The news just had a story about a wheelchair that belong to a 5 yr. old with a traumatic brain injury was stolen from their front yard.

It had gotten wet and they set it out to dry.

Mom was asking that it be returned.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Sadly we had a similar case in our city, a specialized wheel chair belonged to a child and the mother put it on their front porch in anticipation of an upcoming doctor visit and getting ready to load it into their van..They've always done this for several years and never had a problem...well someone stole the wheel chair took it for a "joy ride" and left it broken and damaged in a vacant lot .....The mother was devastated and wondered how she could ever replace it.....An anonymous viewer called the TV station that aired the story and offered to pay for a brand new wheel chair.........The station said they also got several other offers to replace the wheel chair too....Even though their are SCUMS and people with EVIL HEARTS in this world, there's also still GOOD PEOPLE around too! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Regular Contributor

@occasionalrain 

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Forbidden Fruit 

It doesn't give them a right to steal, but makes the victim an unwitting accomplice by providing the temptation.

It was a crime of opportunity for sure but if I follow your reasoning then if I take my child to the park am I an accomplice if a person molest them?  There is still knowing right from wrong, good vs evil. I found a purse full of cash at a mall, did I steal it?  I could have easily but I turned it over to mall security.  I had an opportunity and someone lost it ---so they provided me with that opportunity but I didn't take it.  That's the difference.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

WTH is wrong with people.

The news just had a story about a wheelchair that belong to a 5 yr. old with a traumatic brain injury was stolen from their front yard.

It had gotten wet and they set it out to dry.

Mom was asking that it be returned.

Disgusting, let's not blame the victim for the love of all that's sacred.  She wasn't dumb or lazy to put it on the porch.  It was her porch!  Her property! She put it out for a reason and had the expectation that no decent human being would take it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain   So I can't hang laundry out because my undies or nightgown may tempt someone to steal them.

Someone swipes my hanging baskets from my porch, someone takes my dog because I put him outside tied to pee.

Someone pushes me down to get my nice purse that tempted them.

My fault for not carrying my things in an ugly purse?

How about it is the riffraff that can't keep their hands off other peoples stuff.

Respected Contributor

Exactly, who knows how hard her life is caring for a child in a wheelchair, I can't stand it when people victim blame...the blame should be placed squarely on the thief!

Honored Contributor

I see both points of view... Knowing the world, as many of us knew it, has gone to hell and no longer exists, we'd be better off not providing easy or obvious temptation. No, it shouldn't be that way, but given a segment of humanity continues to descend the evolutionary scale, it's one way to protect ourselves.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624    Not very nice comment.  People make mistakes.   The thief is the problem not the mother

Esteemed Contributor

Evidently the wheelchair was 8 ft. from the front door.  The house sits 150 ft. from the road.