Honored Contributor

Some parents have 'different ideas' now-a-days.  Just talking about this subject this morning.  Everything their kids do (some of them, of course; not all parents/kids) is just fine.  No problem.  No worries, etc., etc.  Well, I do hope that it all works out in the long run, safety-wise.  Keep in mind that I'm the cautious type.  Be careful about this and that, etc., etc.  It's my M.O.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

The first thing I thought of reading this is how disgusting the salt shaker is to begin with. 

Everybody's ewey gooey hands picking it up.  The servers slopping a grayish rag on the tables and moving the shakers around.  Bleck.

I'd freak out on my kid for putting a dirty shaker in their mouth in the first place--believe me.

@Lucky Charm  Yeah, they're gross.  Even more gross after someone puts it in their mouth though.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

Re: I HAD to Say Something

[ Edited ]

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

The first thing I thought of reading this is how disgusting the salt shaker is to begin with. 

Everybody's ewey gooey hands picking it up.  The servers slopping a grayish rag on the tables and moving the shakers around.  Bleck.

I'd freak out on my kid for putting a dirty shaker in their mouth in the first place--believe me.

@Lucky Charm  Yeah, they're gross.  Even more gross after someone puts it in their mouth though.

I totally agree.

I would have spoken up too.  I probably would've said something to an adult at the table to tell them the salt shaker needs to be taken off the table now.

Valued Contributor

I just don't understand parents now a days, must be the generation. Glad you said something. Yuck. 

Honored Contributor

That was the right thing to do, I would have done the same thing.

Honored Contributor

@De Anna wrote:

I just don't understand parents now a days, must be the generation. Glad you said something. Yuck. 

@De Anna

It was the GRANDMOTHER holding the child and letting the child put the salt shaker in his mouth.

Let's stop automatically blaming the younger generation. 

Respected Contributor

It's a natural thinkg for a baby to do.  I'd be more worried about what goes on behind the kitchen doors.  I've worked in restaurants and I've seen things that would make you never enter a restaurant again. 

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

My daughter teaches second grade.  She comes home with horror stories on a daily basis. My dog is better behaved than a lot of children I see when I am out. I trained the dog to be a joy to have around. I acted as a parent to my children, I wasn't their friend until they became adults. I would never have allowed such behavior, but I am "old school". My children were polite and respectful of others and their property and still are as adults.

@CatLoverDogsToo...we often take our little dog out to eat with us where he is allowed to go. I put him on a chair next to me and always order something he can have a bite of. He sits quietly, often looking at the unruly children running around acting like little hellions. Once they see him and want to pet him, I let them know he is eating, not playing. He looks at me as if he to say THANK YOU! He knows if he goes out to eat with us he must behave...and he does.

@SurferWife

Mr Toby is a gentleman, with a twinkle in his eye!

His Mom & Dad did an excellent job.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I HAD to Say Something

[ Edited ]

My hubby and I used to go to an Italian restaurant pretty frequently. We would often see this family with a little boy in a booster seat. His parents would hand him a piece of bread, and then ignore him. We saw him, more than once, gnawing on a butter knife. It was serrated so it could cut! He'd try to butter the bread and then lick and chew the knife! We were appalled and told the mother. She just smiled, shrugged, and said he does that all the time. HUH? What can you do besides pray for that little boy?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Or maybe go off on "A SNARK"

I don't know what that means. but clearly people here think nothing of injecting themselves on the public for no other reason than they can.  Ridiculous imo.