Esteemed Contributor

My dad and I went out to eat for Easter dinner, and there was a large family sitting across from us.

I couldn't help but to notice the 3 - 4 year old boy putting the salt shaker in to his mouth.

All I could think about was the next unsuspecting patron using that shaker, with who knows what germs were on it.

When our server came by to ask how everything was, I told him that he might want to clean the salt shakers, because they had been in a child's mouth.

He made a face that indicated that he was disgusted too, and thanked me for letting him know.

A short while later, the salt shakers were removed from the table.

I am glad that I spoke up.

Trusted Contributor

What's wrong with parents ?  Who would let their child put their mouth on a salt shaker ?

That's just nasty.  Glad you said something.  I would have too.

Honored Contributor

Why do people let their kids act like that in a resaurant!  Glad you spoke up.

Trusted Contributor

Ugggg. Good thing you said something and the server took action.

And that is why I never go to self-service yogurt stores or buy the self-service peanut butters in the stores. Because I've seen kids put their mouths right up to the spigots.

Honored Contributor

I think you did the right thing by speaking up!

Image result for happy easter bunny images

Honored Contributor

Children and dogs have a lot in common.

Respected Contributor

Re: I HAD to Say Something

[ Edited ]

Lucky for us (public) our bodies are able to fight off most of the nasties out there, and in our homes.  I'm pleased to say my son never did this, and we went out to eat at least once a week, whether it be lunch or dinner.

Honored Contributor

Re: I HAD to Say Something

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2

Some of these parents are just oblivous to their kid's actions when they are in a public place....SHEESH!!!  I am so happy you spoke up and considered the next patron....If I were the restaurant owner I would have added an extra charge to replace the salt shaker....and if the parents questioned it, I'd tell them, "next time watch your kids"....

I also have an Easter dinner story, went to dinner with some friends....the restaurant was packed to the gills every inch of the place was filled........and there was more than an hour wait for more people to be served--- it was that crowded........There was 2 women seated in a table behind ours....one had a baby sleeping in a stroller.....there were 2 other kids.....one was about 6 the other around 8.....and these kids just started running around and around the table and then all over the restaurant....meanwhile here were the servers bringing in trays of drinks and food to large parties seated at tables....yet the women kept on talking and treating their childrens play time like they were at a park, and totally ignoring the actions of the kids......I turned and gave the kids a dirty look....the girl sat down, but the boy kept running around and around......My friend made a loud comment about unruly kids......and the mother finally said something to the boy he finally sat down.  But I bet if the boy had run into one of the waiters with a tray and if food and/or alcohol was dumped on the boy that mother would have probably sued the restaurant for the incident, when it was HER fault for not making the kids behave.....Take them to McDonalds and let them run around where its kid friendly and they provide a place for kids to play instead of taking rambunctious kids to an adult restaurant!!! Thanks for letting me vent!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

My daughter teaches second grade.  She comes home with horror stories on a daily basis. My dog is better behaved than a lot of children I see when I am out. I trained the dog to be a joy to have around. I acted as a parent to my children, I wasn't their friend until they became adults. I would never have allowed such behavior, but I am "old school". My children were polite and respectful of others and their property and still are as adults.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Valued Contributor

We went to a restaurnt a few months ago. Our waiters wife and child came in. She sat the baby on top of one of the tables. Then they needed the table for another patron who came. All I could think of is the flatware etc...on the table where the baby's bottom was. Yuck.