Honored Contributor

Re: I HAD to Say Something

[ Edited ]

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

My daughter teaches second grade.  She comes home with horror stories on a daily basis. My dog is better behaved than a lot of children I see when I am out. I trained the dog to be a joy to have around. I acted as a parent to my children, I wasn't their friend until they became adults. I would never have allowed such behavior, but I am "old school". My children were polite and respectful of others and their property and still are as adults.

@CatLoverDogsToo

I guess in the "old school" days our parents taught us if we went to a nice restauant we had to be on our best behaviour, and display our best manners.....Times have certainly changed and not for the good.  My sis has friends that are teachers and the horror stories I hear are unbelievable....heaven help the teacher that tells a child to turn off their smart phone and pay attention, or quit talking etc etc....the parents report the teacher for being "mean and cruel" to their dear little children, instead of doing the right thing and telling their kids to behave and mind the teacher! ..........I salute your daughter for what she has to put up with, my sister's friend said so many teachers are retiring early or going into other occupations, one she knows became a realtor just recently.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I would have said something too

My question is why would parents allow their child to do something like this?   

Respected Contributor

Good for you.  I would have done the same thing. 

Hubby and I were out at our favorite pizza restaurant and I noticed a lady take a very small DOG out of her very small bag and let the dog's feet "dance" on the table.  The dog was licking the table and the metal napkin dispenser.  Hubby insisted I say nothing but I was boiling.  A dog inside the restaurant was bad enough (can you say "VIOLATION??"), but the lady clearly knew she was doing wrong and thought nothing of it.  Turns out, they were sitting at a table but were taking their pizza to go.  When they left, I just had to open my mouth and tell someone.  The server appreciated me speaking up, I spared the next person possibly from catching something, I spared the restaurant owner a health code violation, and I felt better.  So there.

Silence means acceptance.

Trusted Contributor
I worked as a waitress for nearly 15 years....unruly children is a pet peeve of mine in a restaurant. Now, I accept that children will act out on occasion, tired, sick, over stimulated....but as a parent, be kind to others in a public place. Remove the child, I left with my son in hand if he was misbehaving on a few occasions as I wanted to be kind to others and also to teach my son good manners.

If the child grabbed it quickly and the parent missed it, it could happen. If the parent saw it and didn't reprimand the child and notify the staff about the salt shaker that is unacceptable.
Respected Contributor

I see more and more parents that are not disciplining  their children for some reason

I love kids.  Not all kids are obnoxious.   I see a lot of well-mannered kids   I do see a lot of kids that are misbehaving though 

Honored Contributor

I was just reading this morning about a restaurant has just changed to being an adult only restaurant for this very reason.  Their business is booming but, of course, some are bad mouthing them.

It's called Caruso's.  I forget what city and state.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Unless it's a safety isssue I would never take upon myself to do this, but whateves..........I understand why some might go off on a 'do gooder',  lol.

Respected Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I would have said something too

My question is why would parents allow their child to do something like this?   

Because they have their face buried in a cell phone and are totally oblivious to their children or anything else around them.

Esteemed Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
I worked as a waitress for nearly 15 years....unruly children is a pet peeve of mine in a restaurant. Now, I accept that children will act out on occasion, tired, sick, over stimulated....but as a parent, be kind to others in a public place. Remove the child, I left with my son in hand if he was misbehaving on a few occasions as I wanted to be kind to others and also to teach my son good manners.

If the child grabbed it quickly and the parent missed it, it could happen. If the parent saw it and didn't reprimand the child and notify the staff about the salt shaker that is unacceptable.

From what I could gather, it was three generations at the table.

Thre were three separate checks, and grandma who was no older than sixty, had the boy in her lap.

They were all talking to each other, and at one point, grandma did tell the child to take the shaker out of his mouth, but he kept putting it in his mouth over and over again.

They left without saying anything about the salt shaker.

That's when I spoke up.

Honored Contributor

Re: I HAD to Say Something

[ Edited ]

@NativeJax wrote:

@NativeJax

My sis got a little peeved at me for giving the kids and parents dirty looks...."oh there just kids in an adult place, of course they're bored...show some compassion, let the kids be kids".  but what would've happened if the kid hit the waiter carrying alcoholic drinks, the glass broke and a piece of glass hit him in the eye....or he was burned by a hot bowl of soup etc etc....then would it have been "let the kids be kids"..........Everyone at the table was finished eating, I saw the waitress ring up their check, so why not take the kids outside to burn their energy instead of annoying other patrons.....

I do have a friend that has 2 grandchildren and they are the best kids--- a joy to be around....and they behave beautifully when in a restaurant....its a matter of teaching discipline and manners, and the parents having some manners and consideration of others themselves!  I told my friend she needs to give a mandatory class for all parents/grandparents on child behaviour!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”