Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

...this should be good...

Image result for squirrel eating popcorn

Yep..I don't like seeing a child called a "brat"...as though they are responsible for their behavior.  Perhaps we should call their parents, brats?

@september

I've seen a lot of these "children in restaurants" threads here over the years.  They never go well, but it's entertaining to watch.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

I don't think that it's a good idea for a baby/young child to be licking too much salt, either.  Upset tummy and all.......

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Cell phones can't take the blame.  There have been lazy/absent parents all along.  I have a strong memory of my childhood, and can clearly remember all the bratty kids in my class!   I wouldn't have wanted to be eating in a restaurant nearby any of them.  

Honored Contributor

After reading only a few posts, it might be a good idea for us to bring some sanitizing wipes to restaurants; Clean the table, etc.  Never know who was sitting there.........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I have concern for the child.  Think about all the nasty germs the child was putting in his mouth from the salt shaker.  Lots of people handle the shakers and the ketchup bottle with germs on their hands.  How often do they get wiped down between customers?

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@NativeJax wrote:
I worked as a waitress for nearly 15 years....unruly children is a pet peeve of mine in a restaurant. Now, I accept that children will act out on occasion, tired, sick, over stimulated....but as a parent, be kind to others in a public place. Remove the child, I left with my son in hand if he was misbehaving on a few occasions as I wanted to be kind to others and also to teach my son good manners.

If the child grabbed it quickly and the parent missed it, it could happen. If the parent saw it and didn't reprimand the child and notify the staff about the salt shaker that is unacceptable.

From what I could gather, it was three generations at the table.

Thre were three separate checks, and grandma who was no older than sixty, had the boy in her lap.

They were all talking to each other, and at one point, grandma did tell the child to take the shaker out of his mouth, but he kept putting it in his mouth over and over again.

They left without saying anything about the salt shaker.

That's when I spoke up.

GRANDMA IS TO BLAME, not the child.

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@september wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Yep..I don't like seeing a child called a "brat"...as though they are responsible for their behavior.  Perhaps we should call their parents, brats?

@september

I've seen a lot of these "children in restaurants" threads here over the years.  They never go well, but it's entertaining to watch.

Lol!  Yes, we do see them quite often.  Can we intersperse the bratty child threads with the women wearing no pantyhose, add in the people talking loudly on cell phones?   Gosh, maybe we should all stay home and become hermits?

Honored Contributor

The first thing I thought of reading this is how disgusting the salt shaker is to begin with. 

Everybody's ewey gooey hands picking it up.  The servers slopping a grayish rag on the tables and moving the shakers around.  Bleck.

I'd freak out on my kid for putting a dirty shaker in their mouth in the first place--believe me.

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@september wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@september

Lol!  Yes, we do see them quite often.  Can we intersperse the bratty child threads with the women wearing no pantyhose, add in the people talking loudly on cell phones?   Gosh, maybe we should all stay home and become hermits?

@september

I think it's best for everyone if I do.   Nobody likes my pantyhose, and I can't stand listening to people talk on their cell phones.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

The first thing I thought of reading this is how disgusting the salt shaker is to begin with. 

Everybody's ewey gooey hands picking it up.  The servers slopping a grayish rag on the tables and moving the shakers around.  Bleck.

I'd freak out on my kid for putting a dirty shaker in their mouth in the first place--believe me.

Yeah, it's probably worse for the child to be picking up whatever germs.....but I was never germ phobic with my kids, and they were healthy as could be.   My son isn't paranoid about his kids either....also very healthy. Not saying we should deliberately expose anyone to germs, but we also shouldn't get overly concerned