Honored Contributor

Re: I Am Not Good at Getting Rid of. . . What?

Where to start!  I have too much stuff but too much going on lately to even put much into it.   I REALLY hope I can start clearing stuff I don't need to have.

One other bit that is really killing me right now - Since my Rupert died on Feb 23 of this year I have a bunch of stuff, including about 40# of very good quality dog food, lots of treats, and other things that I wanted to donate.

I've contact a few places, well tried to, and have yet to find a home for all this great stuff.  It's like nobody is home to phone calls and emails.  It's in this huge box in my entry way and I'm almost to the point of just tossing it all.  This is upsetting because I don't do like that and really want to find a new home for these items.  Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Expectations.  

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Our local SPCA welcomes dog food and treats. Have you looked into local animal shelters? They also appreciate old towels and blankets.
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt I have found that sometimes it is hard to donate.  Food pantries often want money now, not donations of canned goods.  

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt,

When our cat died, I took all her things and food to the Petco who were glad to have it. I think Petsmart also has bins in front of their entrance for blankets, food, etc.

It made me feel good to have her things help other kitties.

These are good if you are not near your local animal shelter-ours always takes supplies, food, etc.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt   Are you on Facebook and, if so, do you have a group for your community?  People post all the time on my local community group page concerning items like this that they're offering for free.  It's used nott only for pet supplies but also baby/child things that they've outgrown as well as moving boxes.....you name it.   I would also contact your local animal shelter.  Although it sounds like you may have done so but haven't received calls back.  I know ours has a voicemail box and it's always full and the staff (all volunteer) appears to not get people called back in a timely fashion. 

There are some other great suggestions here too.  Sorry for the loss of your fur baby! 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown