Honored Contributor

Re: Hurricane Michael

[ Edited ]

It seems like Hurricane Florence got a bigger build-up from the media than Michael's gotten.  I wonder why - Michael looks to be just as bad, if not worse.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

@september wrote:

Stay safe, anyone in the path of this!  

Haven't seen any posts from the poster with the numbers in her nic (15.....).  I think she may be in this area? 

@septemberI was wondering about her, too.  I think she's on the Gulf Coast side of Fla. but I can't remember exactly where.  She's not up in the panhandle, though.  Further south - so she should be ok.

She's in south Sarasota county, so on the Gulf side but away from the storm. There may be some heavy rain and wind from the outer bands, and the barrier islands may have some street flooding because they're nothing but sand bars (my beach place is on one of them in the Bradenton area), but that's about it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

Not to downplay Michael because it is a really bad storm, I think Florence had more attention because sizewise, it was a much larger storm and encompassed a bigger area. Also, The storm was stationery for several days causing massive flooding because it would not move.

Michael will hit the panhandle of Fla then move quickly north/northeast. And, we really don't need a lot more water in areas that are still satuated from the last storm.

Honored Contributor

Cat. 3?????  It is a Cat. 4, possible will be a Cat. 5, Panama City, FL area is being destroyed!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@riley1, Enough!!!  .........  a Cat. 4/5 hurricane has NEVER hit the FL panhandle

Respected Contributor

I just heard Michael moved faster than Florence so it surprised some people. No time for the news build up.

Esteemed Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

Cat. 3?????  It is a Cat. 4, possible will be a Cat. 5, Panama City, FL area is being destroyed!!!!!

@Hooty When I started this thread yesterday, it was expected to be a Cat 3. Things change, which is why I always evacuate. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@traveler  You nailed it. 

I live down this way and I had no idea who Michael was until a few days ago.  Not even the local weather people were alarmed until 48 hours ago which unfortunatey is their MO and the reason half the state of GA spent the night on the freeway in the middle of a snow storm a few years ago.  

Qualified meteorologists welcome here.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in AL, 3 hr. drive from Panama City/FL Panhandle, we were told last week that there was a storm brewing that could become a hurricane by this week, we have outstanding weather people in our area.  If it had not gone east, it would have come straight up into AL, and been worse than Hurricane Opal, that came inland with 100 MPH winds to the middle of the state!

Honored Contributor

@Hooty  If anyone wants to transfer over, I'll take them!  I have lived in about 10 different states and I have never seen such bad weather forecasting/ no info out to the public in all my life.