Honored Contributor

I have at least two hummingbirds that I see visit my two feeders frequently.  I've never had them stay past Sept. 29th, so they're a week late leaving.  It's at least 10 degrees warmer than it usually is here this time of year. I'm worried they won't leave soon enough.  

I know never to take their nectar away until you're sure they've left, so I will keep it out.  Has anyone else had their hummingbirds stay longer than usual?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure where you live but I'm in Washington state and we have Annas all year long. They tough it out in our infrequent snow storms and the wind and cold rain we have.  I do have to bring the feeders in overnight if we have freezing weather.  

Honored Contributor

I think I keep mine out until the end of October.  I have read that they won't stay just because feeders are up

Honored Contributor

It's always sad to not see the hummers in our yards isn't it. Our kitchen window looks out to the backyard, in fact the sink is right at the window. We watch the birds all the time, we plant flowers for the humming birds and have the same few, two types every year now. They've been here for some years. I haven't seen them in the last few days, DH says he still does. We've not much left for them in the plantings although the shrimp plant is loving the cooler weather and has taken on a huge spirt. I know it's getting very close for the birds to be heading south.

I don't blame them!

Honored Contributor

While cleaning my front windows just now, a male hummer flew up to the feeder.   My husband hasn’t seen the females for weeks, just this male.   I am in southern West Virginia.

Honored Contributor

They are building up for that long flight.

When it’s time they will leave, feeders up or not.

I like to leave mine up late for any stragglers. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Thanks @Drythe @RedTop @PINKdogWOOD @Icegoddess @OutofMadison  We only have ruby throated hummingbirds here.  They come in the summer and leave by the end of September usually.  I kept a log for a while of when I saw the first and last one.  I've never seen one past September 29th, so this is unusual.  

I would never take my feeders down until I was sure they were gone.  I'm just so surprised they're still here.

littlesmokie, I wish we had Anna's here, too.  I think they're beautiful.  I love having the hummingbirds here in the summer.  I love how they come back to the same spots each year.  This year I knew it was about time for them to come back, and I was standing outside on my porch and one flew up to where the feeder usually is.  I went inside and immediately made the nectar for it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

Hello from central Indiana!

My feeders are still out, even though I haven’t seen a hummer in several days. The last one I saw was a hungry female. I will keep the feeders out for a couple more weeks, just in case there are stragglers, usually late-hatchling juvvies.

Dragonfly

Esteemed Contributor

We still have them too, and I honestly can't say for sure we have had them longer than normal, but it sure seems like it.

Super Contributor

Silly me (stupid maybe) just learned this year to keep the feeders out till you no longer see the hummers,,,,so I still see them here (Chesapeake, Va).  I'm so glad I learned to leave the feeder out!  I used to take it down in September, even had it marked on my calendar.  Lo and behold...I've seen the darlings guzzling at the feeder, getting ready for their trip.  I'm so glad to see them here yet.  I miss them when they leave.  It's been poopy hot here too.  we're cooling down to the 80s. hoorah.  I'm a Yankee and sure do miss the cooler weather.