Honored Contributor
There are lots of schools that do not even require the SAT or ACT for admittance; they just require a 3.0 GPA the first semester, then you are official.
Honored Contributor
I just hope to hear what the father who paid over $1.5 mil to have his son admitted gets as a sentence.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Huffman sentence

[ Edited ]

Another parent sentenced on Friday:  Agustin Huneeus, a Napa winemaker was sentenced to 5 months in prison, the longest sentence thus far.

He was to pay $300,000 to have his daughter recruited to USC as a water polo player, a sport she did not play.

She was never admitted to USC and Huneeus paid only $100,000 of the agreed upon amount.

From his statement:

Every spot in every college is important to our society. Nothing has a larger impact on income inequality and social mobility than a college education. Millions of kids apply to college ever year and top colleges can accept just a tiny percentage of them. And many of these spots are reserved for donors, athletes and legacies so the odds are even tougher for most.

I am deeply ashamed of myself for taking part in a scheme that could have taken a deserving student's future away. My actions threatened to disadvantage the very people the system was already stacked against.

Huffman:  14 days

Devin Sloan: 4 months

Stephen Semprevivo: 4 months

Gordon Kaplan: 1 month

Esteemed Contributor

The first couple was sentenced by Judge Talwani yesterday, Gregory and Marcia Abbott of Manhattan NYC and Aspen.

They are to serve 1 month each for paying a total of $125,000 to have their daughter's ACT and SAT scores altered.

The prosecution sought 8 months and the defense said they should serve no more than the 14 days given Felicity Huffman.

Their terms will be staggered so one will be with their children.

Judge Indira Talwani has often accompanied her sentencing with commentary about the social issues surrounding the actions.  

To the Abbotts:  "When you are confronted with this option, the question isn't whether I have the money to pay this, the question is whether I should do this or don't I?"

She also pointed out studies which show extended time granting is more prevalent in wealthy regions of the country and suggested that the fairness of exam administration should be reviewed.

Honored Contributor

The prosecutor has spoken out now about Loughlin and her hubby....says their prison sentences will be much longer than Huffman’s. Still can’t imagine why those two have dug in their heels and insist on a jury trial. They can serve 40; years if convicted on all of the charges. Doubt they would ever get that much, but they seem to really be taking a big risk. Hope their attorneys have some really good strategies in mind!

Esteemed Contributor

The prosecutor said that Huffman was "the least culpable defendant" but I don't quite see that.  She absolutely knew what she was doing, it's just her $$$ amount was the lowest.

He also called her "classy" because she " took responsibility almost immediately, was contrite and did not minimize her conduct."  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Huffman sentence

[ Edited ]

@Ketra wrote:

If it had been any one of us who couldn’t afford a top attorney, we would have gotten years in prison not days.

What goes around comes around, even if it’s not in this lifetime. No one gets away with anything.

Let's be real here. If any of us couldn't afford an attorney, we sure as heck couldn't afford to bribe a college entry official in the first place. I am somewhat amazed this is all she got, but I expect Loughlin will get more because her crimes were more serious.

Esteemed Contributor
The prosecutor has said as much. If Lori is convicted at trial I believe he will seek a much harsher sentence.

I think he is pressuring her and her husband to take an agreement with jail time, perhaps several years .

The Justice Department really doesn't want a lengthy and expensive trial for a crime like this.
Regular Contributor

That applies to ALL countries!