Super Contributor

Posting this copy of an old menu I found on the web (sorry if it's too small to read lol).

Always clams and ice cream for dessert for us!

HJ.jpg

hj2.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

The Summer after my sophomore year I waitresses at Hojos.  I made, wait for it, eleven cents an hr! ( the tips for breakfast were really good; I paid for my first trip to Europe with them).

Honored Contributor

Definitely fried clams too! I grew up on the water and my dad caught fish, shrimp,and crabs. I used to beg to go to HOJO for clams - with tartar sauce! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Re: Howard Johnson

[ Edited ]

We went to HoJo's all the time as kids.  My sister always got the hot fudge cake for dessert.  My most memorable moment was when we were there with my grandparents and my sister "cut the cheese" on the cushioned booth seat.  It was very loud and very long.  My grandfather became flustered and kept saying "oh my oh my".  Sorry if it is TMI but that's my memory and I feel a little happier just thinking about it.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Howard Johnson

[ Edited ]

Great idea for a thread @QVCkitty1.

We went to HoJos many Sundays after Mass.  There was a trampoline/mini golf venue next door so it was best not to have a heavy meal. Most of us had a hot dog, with an ice cream cone for dessert: I liked black raspberry.

One year, my mother (a huge Bobby Darin fan) played "Mack the Knife" on the jukebox for several visits.  3 songs for a quarter circa 1960.  My sister sent me a history of HoJos last Christmas, and I learned a lot of background:  for instance, Jacques Pepin during the 1960s, just out of classical French training, worked as a consultant for Ho Jos--if I remember rightly, their testing ground was in Queens in NYC.

Trusted Contributor

I have very fond memories of Howard Johnson's.  Just a really reliable place to get tasty food, casual and affordable even for a teenager on an allowance.

I remember my grandmother loved the fried clams.  I also remember loving the chocolate chip ice cream.  Not the mint, though that was great too, but the plain chocolate chip that was vanilla with tiny bits of chocolate heavily mixed in. 

I also remember that one summer around 1966, I think, they had a new milkshake flavor that was called a "HOJO".  It was the Howard Johnson color scheme.  An orange base mixed with lime sherbert, I think.  It was very citrusy and very refreshing.

I miss Howard Johnsons.

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

Great idea for a thread @QVCkitty1.

We went to HoJos many Sundays after Mass.  There was a trampoline/mini golf venue next door so it was best not to have a heavy meal. Most of us had a hot dog, with an ice cream cone for dessert: I liked black raspberry.

One year, my mother (a huge Bobby Darin fan) played "Mack the Knife" on the jukebox for several visits.  3 songs for a quarter circa 1960.  My sister sent me a history of HoJos last Christmas, and I learned a lot of background:  for instance, Jacques Pepin during the 1960s, just out of classical French training, worked as a consultant for Ho Jos--if I remember rightly, their testing ground was in Queens in NYC.

@Burnsite , I read somewhere that Racheal Rae was a fountain girl at Howard Johnson's 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Hot dogs were my favorite. And breakfast was always nice. Good coffee, too. I just liked being in the place! I love booths, hahaha.

Honored Contributor

That menu is great @Happy2BHere -Never knew about all the ice cream.