Trusted Contributor

Re: How you ever bought a "back-up" of something?

All I can think of is a backup for my favorite shade of lipstick and my hair dryer.

Honored Contributor

MickD wrote:

Yes!  Clothes ....if I like a shirt, I'll buy a few in different colors.....the same with pants and jeans.....then I don't have to think about anything......easy peasy.

Glad I'm not the only one!  I have this one top that, I swear, I have at least a dozen of those.  Same with some jeans that were perfect for me, years ago.  I don't have THAT many pairs but I do have about 4 or 5 pairs of them.  LIfetime supply!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Guilty! I am one of those who never wants to run out.....so if I like something I always have a backup.....not in jewelry, but in clothes, makeup and skincare.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

It's a real shame about some things, particularly I notice textiles, that they make really well and then, after it's popular, they cut back on quality.

I remember years ago getting this Stan Herman robe from here.   It was fleece, instead of that other stuff he always sold that comes off all over the place, so it was perfect for me - long, zip up, pockets in front,etc.

So, I liked it so much that I figured I'd get an extra one in another color so I would have two of these great robes.  It was really not long at all after having purchased the first one.

Well, you guessed it.   It was MUCH thinner and not as well made.  Smiley Sad   I still have, and use, both but I'm pretty good about taking care of my things.  I just designated the lighter one for the warmer months and the heavier one for the cooler months.  Smiley Happy   But still - why degrade the quality after something is popular?   Bad business, I say.

@chickenbutt

This infuriates the heck out of me as well.

If we are lucky enough to find something we love, have it long enough to realize that, then go back for more, it is lower in quality, smaller in size, higher in price, and that is if it is available at all.

I, too, can't understand why they just can't charge us more money, and give us the product everyone fell in love with. If they made it quality the first time, they can do it again. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, because we have two beach rentals, we have to keep several things in storage in case something breaks down.

Right now we have a cottage size oven, a stackable washer and a refrigerator.

It's an obligation to our renters to have these things at the ready in case something breaks down.  And things have (!) so it's better to be prepared ahead of time.

Super Contributor

Backups?  Oh, yeah!!  LOL  

1. Rangemate Microwave Grill Pans w/Accessories
  2. Sistema Microwave Rice Cookers/Multicookers
  3. WP mini rice cookers
  4. books (especially cookbooks that I really enjoy)
  5. herbs, spices, and seasonings
  6. lipsticks/lip glosses/lip balms
  7. deodorants
  8. hair coloring from beauty supplies store
  9. waffle irons
  10. Asian noodles that I LOVE
  11. George Foreman grills
  12. measuring cups and spoons
  13. ...and so on, and so on, and so on, the list is practically endless.....  

Sometimes, I give away my duplicate items, especially if I find out or know that someone else needs or would enjoy whatever it is I have more than one of. 

Respected Contributor

You girls are making me chuckle.  Yes, I have that big fear of running out of something I love, or having it discontinued.  In that light, however, I also have quite a few items that held up much longer than I thought they would. By the time I got to the "backup," I was ready for a change in color, or I had found something different that I liked better!   Cat LOL

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

YES, YES, YES.  Nothing if more frustrating than finding a perfect product then having something happen and not be able to find another.  Newer isn't always better and I find I often have to end up compromising between what I want and what is available.

Heck, I even have two back-up cats but only one dog at this time.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

YES, YES, YES.  Nothing if more frustrating than finding a perfect product then having something happen and not be able to find another.  Newer isn't always better and I find I often have to end up compromising between what I want and what is available.

Heck, I even have two back-up cats but only one dog at this time.

@Marp

Back-up cats, LOL!

Yep, I get that Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

Yes, I once purchased a second identical pair of shoes because I liked the first pair so much.  Just a few months ago, I brought out the second pair becuase the first pair wore out.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York