Honored Contributor

Re: How you ever bought a "back-up" of something?

@Trinity11 wrote:

Yes, often I have purchased a duplicate. My favorite Estee Lauder lipstick was just discontinued and I bought 4 of them and will try to find more...

I have a favorite lace top that I would like to own for a lifetime so I bought two and put them in storage.

I did the same thing for so long when Max Factor Pan Stik was discontinued.  I kept buying on-line and keeping my stock up until the $$ got into the $60.00 range for one foundation.  Seen some on eBay for $100. a stik.  Too rich for my blood.  I hated to see it end but $10.00 was as high as I was willing to pay.  Buy more if you can.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Oh my goodness!  I am the QUEEN of this!!

I could probably write a book of things that I purchased, loved, and purchased an extra or extras for, well, 'just in case'.  

Even small appliances (have lots of those - back ups of vacuum sealing machines, small chopping machines, and probably more).

I am frequently compelled to purchase extras and sometimes, with some little things like the 'dishwasher alert' I purchase extras to give to others because it's something I like so much.  I always have several of those on hand.  I have extras of quite a few other little kitchen things or like special knives or other utensils I love for one reason or other.

As you can see - I could go on forever and have practically done that already so I'll shut up now.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Yes, because once I decide I like it they stop making it!

Honored Contributor

YES! Mostly makeup and other beauty products. But @Goldengate8361 - I like your idea about the backup earrings! I lost one of my favorites some years ago. Of course I haven't been able to find any like it. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

YES!

I have a lot of trouble finding shoes that are right for me.  I only wear a size six but I have a high instep.  Several years ago, QVC featured a great pair of Clark's sandals with two adjustable cross straps and a back.  They were perfect for me!  Once I found out how great they were, I bought a total of six pairs, three black and three natural leather.  I still wear the first one often just for running around, I swear, it looks like new. 

Recently, my daughter found a perfect top she loves for herself for nice events.  It is so perfect... but she does spill once in awhile so I ordered a backup for her, LOL Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

CelticCrafter wrote:

Oh!  Exactly!   You must like some of the same stuff I like.  Seems like everything I like becomes obsolete.    It's frustrating.  

I am sorry that happens to you, too.   I always figure it's just that I must be the only one who likes that given item so it goes away for lack of market.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I love the micropedi so much, that when there was a deal on one, I bought it so I would never be without. The bad news is the newer one is not as  powerful as my 4 year old one. Even with brand new batteries, the newer one's performance is just not as good.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter

Isn't this the stinkin' truth!!??

I remember back in the day (1970's and before), if you purchased something, anything from a pair of shoes to a set of sheets to a box of crackers, you could pretty much depend that the same thing would be available next week next month and next year. The packaging would look the same, the contents, ingredients, size, quality would all be the same thing you came to love.

Fast forward past the 90's and heck, if you turn around in the parking lot of the store, and go back in for a second of anything, it has already changed, and not for the better.

With that in mind, I try to balance my need/want for the things I find that I love or need regularly with the threat of becoming a hoarder. 

I dont' like to buy multiples of everything in my life, but I find myself analyzing each purchase and asking myself, will I make it if this one dies and it isn't available again?

And most of the time, the things I buy backups of, I'm glad I did as time passes. 

In general, I can't find the quality of things that I once purchased in anything from clothing, to linens, to shoes, to cookware, carpeting and more. So it isn't unusual, if I use a lot of something (bath towels, t shirts, lock and lock) and love the quality/features/price/fit etc of something, I tend to buy what I think I might use up in the amount of time the things will last or be good without spoiling or (dry) rotting.

Honored Contributor

Yes!  Clothes ....if I like a shirt, I'll buy a few in different colors.....the same with pants and jeans.....then I don't have to think about anything......easy peasy.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's a real shame about some things, particularly I notice textiles, that they make really well and then, after it's popular, they cut back on quality.

I remember years ago getting this Stan Herman robe from here.   It was fleece, instead of that other stuff he always sold that comes off all over the place, so it was perfect for me - long, zip up, pockets in front,etc.

So, I liked it so much that I figured I'd get an extra one in another color so I would have two of these great robes.  It was really not long at all after having purchased the first one.

Well, you guessed it.   It was MUCH thinner and not as well made.  Smiley Sad   I still have, and use, both but I'm pretty good about taking care of my things.  I just designated the lighter one for the warmer months and the heavier one for the cooler months.  Smiley Happy   But still - why degrade the quality after something is popular?   Bad business, I say.