Honored Contributor

Re: How to make laundry smell really good without using softener?

@Zhills would the vinegar be as good at removing stains in the liquid bleach dispenser?

Honored Contributor

@Sue98 Go here! http://www.ourhomemadehappiness.com/2012/03/homemade-fabric-softener.html

The entire article is titled (paraphrased) "How to make fabric smell better without using any fabric softner".  It even shows a picture of a box of fabric softner with a ling drawn across it.

I just googled the title of your question and so many things showed up.  Go for it!

Honored Contributor

I like nellies detergent because it smells fresh, if i want a scent i take a cloth ,put some fragrance oil , on it toss in to dryer.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I use wool dryer balls with a drop of lemon essential oil on them. It gives things a very light citrus scent. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I also use Nellie's & don't use fabric softener. I have used vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser.

Pour 1/2 cup baking soda in the rinse cycle. I always put it in a cup of water to pour in. It will help with odors plus softening.

Respected Contributor

I use All free & clear detergent and borax for a wonderful fresh, clean smell. i do not like fragrances on sheets and clothes.

Honored Contributor

I only use unscented detergents, no softner or dryer sheets because they are just too strong.

If there is extra sweaty laundry to be done, I will add a few scoops of baking soda.

I just noticed today that some grocery bags are now scented.  Yuck, they go right out into the recycling bin, I won't save them for the waste paper baskets.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags"Do you dilute or just fill the little container to the top with vinegar?"

In my machine, I just fill the "softener place" to the top.  I know it is not always in the same place in every washer.

@Whatnow "Would the vinegar be as good at removing stains in the liquid bleach dispenser?

No, do not put it in the liquid bleach dispenser.  Vinegar kills soap. 

That is why it rinses all soap residue out of your clothes and makes them soft.

If you have a machine that will open while doing a cycle, put vinegar in the rinse cycle.  Doesn't take much.  Maybe 1/4 cup?

Valued Contributor

If you can air dry them outside in the sun.  I have to dry my comforter outside when it's warm out and it smells amazing when it's dry.

Honored Contributor

Downy Unstopables In-Wash Scent Booster Beads are the bomb! I hate using fabric softener and these make my laundry smell fantastic! Can't do laundry without them. 

"Pure Michigan"