Honored Contributor

Re: How to clone a Woolly Mammoth:

On 3/6/2015 croemer said:
On 3/6/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 3/6/2015 ktlynam said:

I think we need to focus on saving the precious species and rapidly disappearing environment that we have left rather than introducing an already extinct animal species into our environment where it would have to fight for deplenished food sources.

If scientists were able to recreate a wooly mammoth, it wouldn't have to fight for food. It would be on a carefully guarded reserve.

And we would be learning how to care for the animals we have now, it's not a waste of time.

Like stem cell research, poo-pooed at first, and now Stanford Hospital is on the verge of growing a new heart for those in need, from a person's own stem cells.

I have to admit...I think this would be fascinating...I mean they are very much like an elephant but with long hair.

I think they chose the best "mother" to carry it. They try to get the closest genetic match possible.

This is exciting Smile

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I'd like to see them try it.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I agree with the juxtaposition of creepy and fascinating. If it could help the problem of extinction in other animals, that would be a wonderful thing. Thanks for the thread, croemer.Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Image result for woolly mammoth

Fascinating information about the animal on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolly_mammoth

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Better a mammoth than a velociraptor.

I'm fascinated by the implications. Could we get dodo birds back? Carrier pigeons? Western black rhinoceros (which went extinct in 1996)? Or the Formosan cloud leopard (that also went extinct in the 90s).

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Just watching this program on the Smithsonian Channel from my DVR. Very interesting...they found a preserved portion of a Woolly Mammoth...including some blood. It was apparently stuck in some marsh or something and was killed by some animals. What would you think about them cloning a Mammoth...the implantation would be in an Elephant? The trunk was very well preserved as well.

What does the elephant think?

Not sure if the mammoth is the best creature to be brought back since there are quite a few others in recent extinction that seem to merit this more; however I assume the genetic material is not there in those situations.

It might be kind of exciting to see. How many would they clone I wonder.

Honored Contributor

Ha Cakers...I do not think the Elephant would be asked.

The Mammoth they found frozen was about 50 years old and reading the link Noel provided they lived to around 60. I also found it fascinating that the bones were used for construction material as dwellings for Neanderthals and modern humans during the ice age.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Super Contributor

The Mammoth they found frozen was about 50 years old and reading the link Noel provided they lived to around 60. I also found it fascinating that the bones were used for construction material as dwellings for Neanderthals and modern humans during the ice age.

Whaaa? The elephant has no say?{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Amazing what is found, though. Wouldn't it be great to be on an expedition like that?

Honored Contributor

On 3/6/2015 Cakers1 said:

Whaaa? The elephant has no say?{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Amazing what is found, though. Wouldn't it be great to be on an expedition like that?

Yes it would be so interesting...and COLD!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

I hope they play some romantic elephant music first.