Honored Contributor

How to clone a Woolly Mammoth:

Just watching this program on the Smithsonian Channel from my DVR. Very interesting...they found a preserved portion of a Woolly Mammoth...including some blood. It was apparently stuck in some marsh or something and was killed by some animals. What would you think about them cloning a Mammoth...the implantation would be in an Elephant? The trunk was very well preserved as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

Re: How to clone a Woolly Mammoth:

Kind of creepy on the one hand, but utterly fascinating on the other.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

On 3/6/2015 Topaz Gem said:

My thoughts too.

Honored Contributor

Yes!

We need to learn how to do this because so many birds and animals are on the endangered list for becoming extinct.

We also have DNA from Neanderthals, that would be the real ethical question.

FYi: those of us from European ancestry have two to four or six % of Neanderthal genes. Africans do not. The mating happened after the ancestors of Europeans migrated out of Africa.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

Jurassic Park?

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Super Contributor

I think we need to focus on saving the precious species and rapidly disappearing environment that we have left rather than introducing an already extinct animal species into our environment where it would have to fight for deplenished food sources.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Valued Contributor

I saw a similar show on PBS a very long time ago. It was located in Siberia, I think and the scientists built an ice cave to work.

Honored Contributor

On 3/6/2015 ktlynam said:

I think we need to focus on saving the precious species and rapidly disappearing environment that we have left rather than introducing an already extinct animal species into our environment where it would have to fight for deplenished food sources.

If scientists were able to recreate a wooly mammoth, it wouldn't have to fight for food. It would be on a carefully guarded reserve.

And we would be learning how to care for the animals we have now, it's not a waste of time.

Like stem cell research, poo-pooed at first, and now Stanford Hospital is on the verge of growing a new heart for those in need, from a person's own stem cells.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 3/6/2015 croemer said:
On 3/6/2015 Topaz Gem said:

My thoughts too.

I agree.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

On 3/6/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 3/6/2015 ktlynam said:

If scientists were able to recreate a wooly mammoth, it wouldn't have to fight for food. It would be on a carefully guarded reserve.

And we would be learning how to care for the animals we have now, it's not a waste of time.

Like stem cell research, poo-pooed at first, and now Stanford Hospital is on the verge of growing a new heart for those in need, from a person's own stem cells.

I have to admit...I think this would be fascinating...I mean they are very much like an elephant but with long hair.