Honored Contributor

Re: How, if at all, have you changed in the.......

I love my children more, my extended family more.

I have more empathy for those who suffer.

Most everything else, I care less.

And superficial things, whether people or “things” I care not at all.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

DH & I are very lucky to be in good health. We both have knee & back issues.Even though they may slow us down a bit they never stop us. I have a bit of an energy issue too but work around it.We're not on any meds & rarely see a doctor.🤞

Life in the last ten years has gone well. Our son has grown into a wonderful young man. He will be graduating from law school & marrying a wonderful young lady next year.

DH At 70 still works full time, something I never expected.He enjoys it so much that I don't have the heart to insist he retire.We are traveling more.We went to Las Vegas in August & we are going to Disneyworld this weekend.We're also hoping to take a Mediterranean cruise next year .

I still like shopping & dressing up.I never leave the house without putting on makeup.

At this stage in life I'm more selfish with my time. If I feel someone isn't treating me right I avoid being around them.I have narrowed my circle of friends to those that are positive & well meaning.Life is too short.I don't want to waste it!!

Esteemed Contributor

Well, 10 years ago I worked in a high-pressure job where I had to dress in suits and high heels.  Worked at the job 50-ish hours a week, and worked at home 4-5 hours a day.  My stress level was thru the roof, didn't get much sleep, and my health was getting worse because of it.

Now I'm retired and live in jeans and t-shirts.  Tossed all the high heels.  Stress floated away and my health improved.  These days I'm pretty relaxed and lazy.  I belong to organizations I enjoy and only do what I want to do.  And I deserve it. 

Interesting thread.  Thanks!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

In the past 10 years I've had breast cancer twice with multiple surgeries each time. After radiation, failed reconstruction, medication side effects, I know I have gone through many changes physically, mentally and emotionally. Some changes for the better, some not so much. I've retiired and DH and I have started travelling as much as we can. I no longer look to appease  people or care if they like me. The only concern is if I like them. I've made new friends and lost some old ones and it's all ok. I'm much more mellow now that I follow Billy Joel's advice when he ended his concerts. "Don't take any s@#$ from anybody. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

My life has changed drastically in the last 10 years.  In that time both my parents got gravelly ill and I was their primary caretaker along with taking care of my own young children and working part-time.  When my mother passed, my husband and I sold our home and brought a new home with a basement apartment for my father.  Shortly after my father died, my husband lost his job and decided to start his own company.  Now my chidlren are 22 and 18, my husband runs his bussiness from home and does all the cooking and dishes.  I now work full time for insurance benefits in a job I absolutely love.  I work in a school system so I am off in the summer and my family spends summers at the beach in the beach house we bought last summer.  So my life in the last 10 years has gone from very stressful to blissful.

Esteemed Contributor

I learned not to take myself so seriously. I enjoy life so much more NOW because I don't.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

In the past 10 years I've had breast cancer twice with multiple surgeries each time. After radiation, failed reconstruction, medication side effects, I know I have gone through many changes physically, mentally and emotionally. Some changes for the better, some not so much. I've retiired and DH and I have started travelling as much as we can. I no longer look to appease  people or care if they like me. The only concern is if I like them. I've made new friends and lost some old ones and it's all ok. I'm much more mellow now that I follow Billy Joel's advice when he ended his concerts. "Don't take any s@#$ from anybody. 

@reiki604 ,

❤❤❤

Respected Contributor

10 years ago I felt more safe on a ladder than now.  10 years ago I did not feel the need to be careful of how I take stairs. I'm aware that one fall can change your life.

Respected Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@reiki604 ,

❤❤❤

Right Back at ya!!!!!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Frequent Contributor

@dex wrote:

@LibbyLib @Beautiful a joy to read.I hope your dreams of travel come true and that you have no bumps along the way.

Thank you so much, @dex ! Unlike some of the gals who spoke of growing into not caring what others think, I still do, and your reply means a lot! 😊